GoJoe's!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Blackbird
Regular
Regular
GoJoe's!!!

Post by Blackbird » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Let's hear your opinion on Go Joe's! Like em? Need em? Don't need em? When should you take one off? Why should you remove it?

Seems like the big gay inflatable is more positive than negative and the 'beginner' tag is undue negativity.
Maybe they should be wrapped in cute fuzzy stuffed animal applique to attract small kids closer to the center of your danger zone...
Or filled with helium to snort on the water...
Or have a stash pocket for kiting edibles...
or smokeables...
Or, or, or, what?

Only real reason to lose it is board off tricks, no? How many of you really do those? Besides being a bad fashion statement, why get rid of it? Seriously?

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoJoe's!!!

Post by Loscocco » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:41 pm

i think i will have to screw a Gojoe on your board next thursday....
: =D> =D> =D> =D>
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:56 pm

They don't suck, but I've seen circumstances where they didn't work--not enough wind to turn the board downwind. I also wish they had some kind of handle on top, so when you want to move the gojoed board to the rider fast (like to clear them out of congested launch space), there's an easy way to pick up the board. Seems kind of stupid to have to treat it like a board with no handle. I've tried grabbing the gojoe but my hand always slips off.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:04 am

stone wrote: I also wish they had some kind of handle on top, so when you want to move the gojoed board to the rider fast (like to clear them out of congested launch space),.

LOL!!!

"this LOL!!! was enhanced w some purple haze kush*
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

The111
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by The111 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 am

I'm not super advanced yet, but definitely off beginner status. I can body drag upwind fine, but I've had two instances at 3rd ave where my board was upside down and I was pretty far downwind of it, and due to chop I could barely find it by sight. No matter how good you can body drag, if you can't see your board, you won't get to it. You can try a couple blind zig-zags and hope you get lucky... but no guarantees. In an ebb tide, if you don't locate it and target it fast, it's a downward spiral. Considered getting a GJ once but it was sold out at the few locations I tried, so for now I just try not to lose track of my board when I crash...

funmilton
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funmilton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:06 am

Hey111, I remember you where looking for some of our local flat water locations. Another piece of advice for making friends in the parking lot beside cold beer would be, no GoJoey. Your advance riders who have the knowledge of these flat water locations generally run away from these type devices. Helmet is good, GoJoey is bad, board leash is the worst.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:39 am

At some point I would like to see someone like Ollie sport 2 or 3 go joes on their board and throw a huge kiteloop. It would make a great video shot.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:13 am

i put a go-joe on my girlfriend's board and she absolutely hated it. it floats so much that the board would float so high that she couldn't see her kite to relaunch when it was downed.

you might not have that problem if you're a bigger person i guess.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:04 am

This is my first season and I love my GoJoe. Mostly because it makes the board visible. Before I got it I would crash and lose sight of the board in the chop and swell. Now I can see it so I can body drag back and pick it up. That's worth all the mockery and the price I paid for the device - I lost huge amounts of time in the beginning trying to locate that danged board when I could have been learning how to ride.

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 pm

the GoJoe is a crutch which may make your life easier temporarily but actually prevents you from becoming a stronger kiter. Body dragging and swimming (unfortunately) are part of kiting. There will be a time when you need to body drag and/or swim effectively. There may even be a time when you need to body drag or swim to get out of a dangerous situation. So why not take this opportuity push yourself now, when the stakes are low, to strengthen these essential skills?