Directional board recommendations

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Directional board recommendations

Post by Tunces » Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 am

I have been kiting for a couple of years, up wind all the time and some jumping, and want to move to a directional board. Any ideas?
Tunces - The driving cat!

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Re: Directional board recommendations

Post by sloughslut » Mon May 10, 2010 9:10 am

borrow or buy a used surfboard and wax the s@#% out of it and go ride 8)
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Mon May 10, 2010 9:11 am

I'm looking for straps.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Mon May 10, 2010 9:32 am

try before you buy, when learning to jibe (in my opinion) i think no straps is easyer in flat water,yes it is harder to get going strapless but if i can do it anyone can, But i am not saying i can boost strapless air at the ocean but in flat water it is not that hard.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon May 10, 2010 10:17 am

are you going to ride in the bay mostly or in the ocean?

are you looking for something that will be really great at carving up waves or do you want something that will allow you to ride when the wind is too light otherwise?
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Mon May 10, 2010 10:34 am

My background is surfing and I miss the carve that I get surfing. Most of my kiting is going to be on the bay or Sherman, but I hope to get on some waves soon.

perukite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by perukite » Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 am

just buy a cheap sub 6 foot surfboard, and not too thick (2 inches or less) and not too wide (under 20 inches max width). Learn to ride a directional strapless, then decide to either buy a dedicated kite directional with strap options or just buy the stick-on strap pads to modify your surfboard.

I personally think that straps just get in the way, and also you loose a lot of the ride, feel and performance of a directional surfboard as soon as you put straps on it and basically immobilize your feet. And that is what I hear you are after: the feel and freedom of surfing. By placing your feet higher up the board, you trim it for going upwind very well - then you slide your feet back when you are ready to carve.

just my 2 cents. Free your feet and the mind will follow.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon May 10, 2010 11:39 am

Having recently been down the road you're inquiring about, I thought I'd offer my experiences here. I'm 5'11" and weight around 165 lbs.

I bought two used-but-in-excellent-shape 5'8" surfboards from Nate - the owner of Proof Lab - the surf shop in Mill Valley. Two boards for $150. One is an epoxy quad and the other is a polyester tri. These boards were from his personal quiver - not off the used (consignment) rack. Ask for Nate. I think he usually wants $100 each.

I put some stick-on straps (get the NSI ones) on the quad, but only after I'd ridden it strapless a few times. This gave me a better sense of where my feet wanted to be and where the straps should go. Jibing is way easier to learn on a board without straps.

I totally agree - you've got to try before you buy but this gave me something to try for not very much money.

They're really thin, chippy (under 2" thick) and won't deal with much jumping or rough kiting use, but for under $250, I now know more about what I'm looking for in a directional board dedicated for kiting:

- 5'8" to 5'10" is about right for my needs (Ocean Beach, Stinson, Waddell, general flatwater cruising around the Bay)
- A bit more volume and mass than these little boards have will allow the board to cut through chop and glide through jibes while I'm getting my act together
- A board made with kiting in mind or a heavily glassed surfboard will provide more durability than a super-light surfboard.
- Quad or Tri - the jury is still out on that one...

I've also demo'd a bunch of boards at the local demo days at 3rd and Alameda:
- F1 Signature 5'10" - my favorite of all the production boards I've ridden so far (Hi Bruce!)
- F1 Signature 6'0" - this board felt too floaty and didn't go upwind well (for me)
- Naish 5'2" Fish (quad) - fun in the Bay and super turn-y but I think too short (for me) for any real wave riding
- Naish 5'7" Fish (quad - strapless) - the Naish quads move through the water really well

Try a bunch. They all feel different. Your mileage may vary.

Kirk out

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Mon May 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Very helpfull. Thanks.

Stefaans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor