Camera Advice/Photographer Tips

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Russ Andersson
Contributor
Contributor
Camera Advice/Photographer Tips

Post by Russ Andersson » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Folks:

Looking forward to seeing many of you over the summer.

To the extent any of you can make any recommendations of a good camera for taking kiting photos that would be most appreciated thank you.

I am interested in buying a digital camera (for stills) for taking photos of kiting etc, not more than $1500 - $2500 for the entire set up. (Obviously doesn't have to waterproof these will be taken from the beach).

I have seen some awesome photos on this board and want to snap a few myself.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
Russ

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Camera Advice

Post by OliverG » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 pm

Just like with kite brands, there tend to be different camps as far as brands go, but both Canon and Nikon are awesome. We have a Canon 40D and have been stoked on it. We have a total of three lenses, we use them all and it's nice to have them as it's kind of like the difference between having a 2 or 3 kite quiver, 3 is always nicer...

We're not pro by any means, but like taking nice pictures and it does it's job well. It's a sophisticated camera, and with further study we could exploit it's capabilities to do some really cool stuff beyond what we do now, which is probably using it to 50% of its potential.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:54 am

2nd vote fort eh 40D.. im looking at a 7D next :)
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:02 pm

yup. i've got a 40d too! it's awesome.

and yah, saving up for a 7D.

but as most camera guys know, it's all about the lenses.

for standard kiting shots, I've got a 70-300 DO IS which is small and compact but gets OK range.

but recently i've been in love with my 20mm f1.8 prime. you have to get really close, but the shots are so worth it.

if you're just getting into it tho, you should consider the T1i. it shoots HD video.

I personally think it's a mistake to buy a body that doesn't shoot video. when you go to re-sell it later, no one is gonna want to buy it if it doesn't shoot video.

i'd be curious to start a thread for photographers to share tips....here's mine for all you 40d folks: learn to use backbutton focus! so crucial when shooting at 3rd ave where the bridge and buildings constantly make the camera lose focus during a sequence (you'll get like 10 frames of a trick and only 3 that are in focus?)
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

foothillbiker
Joey
Joey

Re: Camera Advice/Photographer Tips

Post by foothillbiker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Russ,

You won't go to far wrong w/ canon or nikon, and you can add lenses over time.

As for the actual shooting -- a lot of this is probably obvious but oh well:
- try to have the sun at your back so that your subject is well lit
- use fast shutter speed -- ideally no slower than 1/1000 sec
- try to know in advance what you are trying to capture
- throw away all the junk
- try to capture facial expressions
- try to show perspective w/ other stuff in image (bridges, other boarders, etc.)
- learn what different people do -- be able to predict what will happen

Apparently three (3) of my shots made the 2010 calendar, and you can see other shots at chasdye.smugmug.com

See you out there.

REgards,
Chas.
__o work to eat
_`\<,_ eat to ride
(*)/ (*) ride to work

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 am

Russ, your budget is all right--about the minimum to get into kiting--go figure.

Just, understand that camera bodies seem to evolve at about the rate of Moore's Law, while lenses are on a much slower track.

So, dropping $700 on a body and $1200 on a good quality lens is not out of the question. But that lens you'll have forever will lock you into a camera body line--the hookup to the body for the stabilization and autofocus and other goodness is manufacturer-specific.

Me, I'm trying to talk myself out of a canon 7d body and an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. I like to shoot non-kiting beasties too.

Russ Andersson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Russ Andersson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:09 am

Folks, appreciate the kind advice. I went with the Cannon 7D. And will follow up personally with the Cannon guys on this list for lense advice. A friend of mine has also put me on the list to get a Red Scarlet for filming HD action stuff. Apparently this is thee Camera to have and is getting rave reviews. It comes out in the summer.

http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

http://www.dipity.com/timetube/YouTube_Red_Scarlet

I would not have a problem lending the Red to folks in the kiting community who were responsible and wanted to do some production quality provided they took care of it.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm

nice! Craig just got a 7d as well, so you can hit him up for info too....
ShredReady Helmets

More Waves Please
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by More Waves Please » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:13 pm

I decided to take the off-season to have some long needed orthopedic work done on my ankle. The downside is I'm off the water for the next 3 - 4 months. The upside is that I'll probably be hitting the water around June 1 with a brand new ankle that'll hopefully have 20 years of abuse coming to it!

For the rest of you, this means you need to be prepared for the best Spring ever (you're welcome for the sacrifice). To keep me occupied during rehab and give me an excuse to get to the beach, I'm in the market for a nice DSLR. Based on my initial research, I have it narrowed down to a couple of models - Canon T1i and a Canon 40D or 50D.

Cameras look like kite gear - buy one a year or two old with light use and you get a 50% or better discount off retail. I'm seeing both models in the $600 - $700 range.

Question for the experienced photographers:

1. Is the HD video capability of the T1i worth it, or should I focus on a higher quality still imaging camera in the same price range?

2. I've heard other recommendations about buying a cheap, older body, then spend some money on kick-ass lenses. Should I be looking for a 2 or 3 year old camera, then spend hte rest of hte budget on some lenses?

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:31 pm

1. I think getting a non video SLR is a waste. sure, you can get a 40d for cheap, but you're going to have trouble reselling it, because it doesn't have video. that said, I have a 40d and love it. I think it's the best value for a sports SLR by far. the 50d is great, but honestly doesn't have much improvement over the 40d. the T1i has a terrible frame rate for sports...the 40d is like a machine gun.

2. yup. spend the money on lenses. i'd recommend you try to buy the camera "body only" because the kit lens is usually shit. this way, you can save some cash and buy the right lenses you want. i've got a 70-300 which is great for bay shooting, but lately i've been taking most of my photos with my 20m f1.8 prime. you have to get really close up, but provides an awesome perspective..and you can get the kite in the shot usually too.

i'm not gonna get a new body until i have the cash to buy a 7d....
ShredReady Helmets