Sherman Island Morning Sessions before work?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
shaymus
Contributor
Contributor
Sherman Island Morning Sessions before work?

Post by shaymus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:31 pm

I frequently go to Sherman before work and want to see if anyone is interested in ridesharing or being a safety buddy. I live in Oakland and work in SF.

I am often the only one out at 6:30 - 8:00 am and it's a little sketchy sometimes. I suspect there will be more guys out as summer approaches, but for now, it's pretty quiet.

Sunrise is just after 6:15 or so, and the gate opens at 6AM. I'm usually back in SF by 10AM or so.

It's great to get a session in before work!

You should be self sufficient at this point, and go upwind with no problem. Sherman is not for beginners, especially at dawn.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Re: Sherman Island Morning Sessions before work?

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:12 pm

Good to have a buddy. I had a kitemare during a morning session about this time of year a couple of years ago, death spiral with malfunctioning harness that put me onto the beach and almost through a tree before ejecting at the last second. Nobody there. Spooky to think how long I would have been in the bushes if I hadn't managed to eject.

I'm going to be traveling for a couple of weeks but when I get back I'll be doing more morning sessions there when the tide's right......

funmilton
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funmilton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm

You can PM me if you like. I live in SF but work up and down 80 corridor. Often times leaving very early for Sac or Reno, last year I enjoyed several "school day" morning sessions and would be happy to organize. Enjoyed a quick sunset session out there last night on the way home from work. Cold.
funmilton

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:15 am

Wondering how the traffic is in the morning (after a session) heading from Sherman to SF.

kingfisher
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kingfisher » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:44 am

I dont drive that way, but the traffic reports I hear say highway 4 is always slow.

shaymus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shaymus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:52 pm

The traffic is notoriously slow from Antioch to Pittsburgh. Stop and go until the hwy widens to 4 lanes. After that, it flows nicely. It usually takes 60-75 mins to get from Sherman to SF at aroud 9AM.

zgur
Resident
Resident

Post by zgur » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:57 am

Traffic on 4 West bound sucks until about 9 am: if accident goes down, it can foul up the whole morning. After multiple attempts at this - from Wsurfing days and a few kite days - the strategy that worked for me was:

Get up at 4:30, hammer our some emails, place a few key calls, confirm wind is holding.
1. rig/coffee at 5:30
2. On water by 6am
3. Off water by 8:15, check vmails return urgent calls
4. Driving in car by 8:30, on the phone working
5. Stop at Antioch Starbucks: 8:45 to 10 am. get on-line, respond to key emails/return calls from your car, suck down some coffee, buy food for lunch....
6. Drive to office 10 to 10:45. Make sure people know you have been busy all morning - as evident by your calls/emails
7. Work through lunch, leave at 4 to score a Crissy session
8. Get home after sunset, get online to respond to emails/update right systems, place a few "just want to make sure we are on track" voice mails

...........Or something like that.

Get some, Z.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:30 pm

"How much would you pay for a seminar with the renowned Zeev Gur, author of "How to maximize your kiting without getting fired from your job"? $200, $300, $500? Well, here at Bay Area Kiteboarding, you get access to the kite/work guru for the low low price of... FREE!"

:lol:
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:46 pm

This schedule puts a smile on my face, :) sort of similar to my typical workday:

1) Wake up at 4 am, make coffee
2) Respond to key email messages received yesterday afternoon.
3) Check out my usual surf breaks in Santa Cruz, in the water surfing by 5 am.
4) At work on my desk by 7:00 am
5) Work through lunch
6) Done with work at 3 pm, hit the road to score a kite session if its windy.
zgur wrote:Traffic on 4 West bound sucks until about 9 am: if accident goes down, it can foul up the whole morning. After multiple attempts at this - from Wsurfing days and a few kite days - the strategy that worked for me was:

Get up at 4:30, hammer our some emails, place a few key calls, confirm wind is holding.
1. rig/coffee at 5:30
2. On water by 6am
3. Off water by 8:15, check vmails return urgent calls
4. Driving in car by 8:30, on the phone working
5. Stop at Antioch Starbucks: 8:45 to 10 am. get on-line, respond to key emails/return calls from your car, suck down some coffee, buy food for lunch....
6. Drive to office 10 to 10:45. Make sure people know you have been busy all morning - as evident by your calls/emails
7. Work through lunch, leave at 4 to score a Crissy session
8. Get home after sunset, get online to respond to emails/update right systems, place a few "just want to make sure we are on track" voice mails

...........Or something like that.

Get some, Z.

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Who's up for tomorrow am?