9m or 12m at 3rd Ave???

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
womrat
Contributor
Contributor
9m or 12m at 3rd Ave???

Post by womrat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:23 am

Aloha Everyone,

First-off, I wish everyone a healthy and happy New Year. I had a question... What do most of you ride on Normal Season days at 3rd Ave? 9m? 10m? 12m? It would be super helpful if you included demographics of yourself... height, weight, board size, "experience" level...

I am trying to get an idea of what to ride next season. I am 6'3", 200lb, LF WLF 140 board, and am a novice rider (can ride upwind MOST of the time :) ). I live in San Mateo, but was at Alameda most of the time last season. I did spend about 3-4 sessions at 3rd ave on my 12m, but felt a little uncomfortable (maybe too overpowered). Nevertheless, on the same day the kite sizes ranged from 8m - 13m.

I would like to really hone my skills at 3rd Ave this season, but definately don't want to make the evening news or get in anyone's way.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Re: 9m or 12m at 3rd Ave???

Post by knyfe » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 pm

a few years back it was 12 now it seems to be 10 or smaller. I typically ride bigger than the average but this also depends on your preference. Smaller than 10 is questionable for the 3rd average day as you are heavy (relative of course ;-). If you can insist to stay out of trouble in the high wind days I would say 10-12 should be still all right for your weight.

I am 160lbs and ride 130 to 160 boards depending on wind and the 13 C was my average for some seasons and now I am on 13 to 9 C. High winds on 7, low low winds on 16 + 160 Door and I am the last one to stay upwind.

G

S.I. Rider
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by S.I. Rider » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:56 pm

for your size, you'll be on the 12m 70% of the time. the rest will most likely be a 10m. of course it depends on how you like to ride. I'm 180 and ride the 12m almost every time i ride 3rd.

Thanks for taking your first licks at alameda!

dpca10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dpca10 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:52 pm

Yeah, but its those 30% of days where you tell yourself "I could probably hold a 12 down" that get you into trouble. That being said I weigh about the same and use my 10m on days when the min channel reading is 20+ You'll see a lot of days with the classic 22-28, and use my 12m when it is anything less.... The 18-24 mph days. Those are the usual ranges you'll see. It is good to have a quiver so you can always ride in the safety zone. Riding a 10m in 40mph isn't fun even if you can "hold it down" For reference last season i was riding the Ocean rodeo Rise and a RRD poison board 133x42 or OR Mako wide on light wind days.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:29 pm

Me 150 pounds. Used to ride 12m SLE now 10m. Nothing in my riding changed, just the newer kites seem to have more power. I also ride little bigger than most. Keep in mind that sizes do not always translate directly between models, it can be up to a full size difference in terms of power between SLEs. So the size depends on what model you will actually buy. I only once felt that I need something smaller than 10, it was above 30MPH. Those days are not common in third ave. Plan more for 18-28MPH.

Damn I miss third now. I just had a flashback. Too much work I start hallucinating. Is there any support group?

womrat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by womrat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:42 pm

I want to thank everyone for their input. I think I am going to keep it on the safe side and ride a smaller kite (9m) for at least the first 1/2 of the season. If things change and I begin to get more comfortable, then I will upgrade. Can't wait to see you all on the water in March.

Thanks!

-J

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 pm

from the perspective of an absolute beginner at 3rd Ave last year, I'd venture that 9m may be too small to bring back to the beach 200lbs when winds weaken unexpectedly late pm (lots of people ride after work at 3rd, so you'd see more late riders than early). On an average day (through early Sep) 3rd is pretty consistent, not the 15-30 range you often get say at Crissy. I personally found that when not the gusts are the issue, I can tame a size over through depowering and edging hard lots easier than staying upwind on a size under (in which case, most often at 3rd wind weakens further, you can no longer relaunch or barely keep it up, drift downwind - all in all, that's when you end up on the rocks or lose your board etc.)

If this is bad advice please one of the sages chime in, but most people get in trouble at 3rd with the wind dying on the inside (or they fall into the big shadow of the driving range etc.) rather than getting overpowered at 200lbs on a 12, as long as you don't venture out in the channel.

Of course, type of kite, geometry, depowering range etc. etc. makes huge difference. Think a safe bet you'll need both kites. But if you face choice of one and only one, I'd go with the 12m.

For the record, I'd make the exact opposite argument for when one moves on to Crissy.

If my personal "war stories" from learning at 3rd are of any use, if March ever comes, do look me up, am riding RRDs (12m orange, 9m purple).

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:40 pm

J,

I congratulate you to the decision to start with the 9. It will be the safer option for you for sure. If you realize that you need more you can always go bigger.

You need to follow the basic rules at 3rd. Take the upper launch ( dont fight with the gusty lower launch condition as a beginner), ask for assistance and a guide out to the water. Everyone helps you out, but you have to ask for it.

You will go downwind as many do on their first rides there, thats 100% ok and everyone went through this process. If you feel comfortable with the first rides and you are constantly underpowered/ downwind get a 12. after 1 month or so.

G

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 pm

I am 6'3", 200lb, LF WLF 140 board, and am a novice rider
I did spend about 3-4 sessions at 3rd ave on my 12m, but felt a little uncomfortable (maybe too overpowered).
What exactly the 12m kite was it?

For a 200lb guy to be overpowered on 12m during 3-4 sessions at 3rd Ave - this sounds like a C-kite to me.

average_male
Regular
Regular

Post by average_male » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Yea, Michael is right. If you are talking about C-kite, then yea, start off with that 9M. Actually, even if you have a bow, still with that 9M, it'll give you a good understanding of kite dynamics.

Be safe and always ask questions, 3rd is a very friendly kiting spot, just have to keep you eye out for that dude that recycles bottles and cans, he likes to play 'demolition derby' in the parking lot.