This should make Rey happy!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
KirkTalon
Regular
Regular
This should make Rey happy!!!

Post by KirkTalon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:18 am

Hey buddy just letting you know that after a 3 year hiatus I have been hitting the surf every week. Feels nice to ride waves and even if the vibe is nowhere as positive as kiting I did get the nod of the head after a couple of nice set waves....

Kirk
RRD, Mystic

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: This should make Rey happy!!!

Post by reyrivera » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 am

Nice! You know it dude, localism sucks.

I did not have a lot of kiting sessions this year (93 sessions total this year according to my log book, 82 sessions less compared to last year), my career is getting on the way :-({|=

I guess I should count my blessings, able to kite on a regular basis. I was actually surprised at the numbers last year after I cranked it out from my log book. This year seem to have more quality riding time. Last year, I'll ride on every possible rideable condtions, so a lot of swimming with my big kites when the winds died.

I did maintain my regular 5 am daybreak surfing session on the days I could not kite, which is about the only time I could surf point breaks without experiencing high blood pressure dealing with localism.

Which spots did you ride?

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Interesting day of "big kite surfing" on the coast in the light, fluky wind. In 10 ft. waves, it was definitely more about riding the wave than the kite, and getting board speed down the face. A whole different style of flying the kite, or really, not flying it but just trying to keep it up in the air while you surf.

I'm not sure I'll ever get the hang of it, or if I really even want to. Some of the locals were pretty impressive, though, more fun to watch than ride for me.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:50 pm

I've also learned to get along with most of the A-holes (outside of me) by remembering, THEY are my REFLECTION.

When I feel hate building toward another I NOW try to see where it is comming from, them or me. If it's them I call them on it and say "Whats- UP?, you got a problem with me!!!" When I determine it's me fueling hostality I say-" Have Fun!!", and move away (to make space).

Bottom line: Localism STINKS!! There is NO EXCUSE to squelch the fun another. (UNLESS THEY ARE INTENTIONALLY DOING YOU WRONG)
L.M.G.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Don, the instructor from Boardsports who passed, told me stories od surfing so-cal years back and having rocks thrown at him for not being a local, yet he surfed there frequently. he said one time he was temporarily unconscious after having a surfer throw a rock right at his head. Even after a childish move like that, they still didnt even care to help the guy out. I even remember not that long ago people telling me stories of having their kites slashed at waddell because they werent regulars???
A part of me can see wanting your own personal paradise to yourself. especially if you are a true beach bum and essentially live at the beach. But violence never makes things better... unless you are really angry, kidding.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 pm

A way to avoid trouble and open the door to friendship is to STOKE my fellow man for his efforts..
I've ALWAYS LOVED watching others surf (etc), I'm LOUD and PROUD!! When I watch someone get a nice wave (or have the BALLS to at least go for it) I stroke them with a LOUD shout-out or whisle.., This practice usually endears your fellow surfer to WANT to STOKE you back. We can, in turn, raise the level of JOY for everyone!!

When you REALLY want something- Give it away. The happiness you'll receive by putting a smile on some ones face is priceless.
Having Respect brings you respect and happiness, disrespect fuels pain and suffering.

L.M.G.

More Waves Please
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by More Waves Please » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:01 pm

I don't know, Greg. After 30 years of practice, I've developed a pretty mean stink eye. Combined with some sharp fins on my boards and a load of extra wax in the truck for those special "window treatments", I find that everyone leaves me alone. Sure, I don't have any surf buddies, but they'd probably just try to drop in on me or something anyway :)

Kirk - glad to hear you're back in paddling for waves. I too have pretty much given up surfing on a regular basis. From 150 - 170 days per year down to about 40. The vibe at even kooky places like Linda Mar was really dragging me down to the point that I wasn't having any fun. I have managed 3 or 4 really good sessions in the last couple of weeks at a "secret spot" that works on northerly swells with a south wind blowing. As much fun as kiting in waves is, there really is nothing like taking a drop on an overhead wave into a hard caring bottom turn. Maybe it's the season, but my surf stoke has seemed to return!

Now leav me alone - I need to get back to the mirror to practice my stink eye :evil:

TMerrick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TMerrick » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:12 pm

Hmm, when did you kite in "10 foot" surf??

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 pm

I had a little fun kite surfing today, then I paddled out and caught a few more..

Weird thing is: Everyone was civil, one well known bearded fellow was quite nice as we chatted for a minute. No one cut me off and I gave several LOUD shout out's to my bro's for there fine work in the waves..
No one got there feelings hurt, no one went away butt sore, I don't think anyone gave anyone else grief. No windows were "washed" either, but several people did laugh and joke and share a beer before saying Good-bye.

L.M.G.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:18 am

That's it! That is the spirit that everyone is trying to catch.