Alameda Hooligans

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
friggin old guy
Regular
Regular
Alameda Hooligans

Post by friggin old guy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 am

Hey

Anybody that was out at Alameda on Tuesday evening might have seen the rowdy group of kids that held a picnic dinner at the launch site and then had a soda can fight in the parking lot, using cars (including possibly yours) as defensive shields. Cans were full, by the way. Mini car rodeo ensued.

Inclination for all was to stay as far away from them as possible, and by the time they left the parking lot and launch site were pretty well trashed. Some guy I didn't recognize cleaned up the parking lot....not sure if he was with their group, which I heard someone say was some kind of school outing.....the guy cleaning up was older than the group but he seemed a little sheepish so I thought maybe he was with them in some capacity. I should have asked him but I didn't.

I didn't see but one or two of the normal Alameda folks, so feeling outnumbered I didn't want to confront the kids by myself (call me chicken). Boardsports shop was closed.

Given the break-ins and theft at the launch site we've seen over the last year, might be a good idea to keep the police number handy on your cellphone if you see something going on, and as mentioned in previous recent posts, be circumspect about leaving stuff out at the shack.

I also called the Alameda Park Police and asked them if they could try to be more proactive on the crime prevention scene, since the only proactivity I've witnessed from them to date is writing kiters parking tickets.

Park police phone: 510-881-1833

Hope we get some (wind) this evening..........without stinkin' hooligans or low life thieves!

John

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:51 am

dude that guy cleaning is a local,.... windsurfer..

i could not talk to them as thay were on" spring brake"
and ya RouDy.
so i went up wind... way outside the box.

hey did the kiter who lost the glide get it back..?
i left it just upwind of the shack as
i couldnt get nere the box.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Yeah, i got a call from my friend yesterday telling me there was an oakland school field trip going on and they were throwing soda cans up in the air and watching them explode when they hit the ground. he said they offered them some yams and corn. So when you see the new bench at the shack, thats why it looks like shit because I see these little crap heads and realize anything and everything is just going to get trashed. I loved the guy flying the single line kite(sky garbage)right smack in themiddle of the launch.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

average_male
Regular
Regular

Post by average_male » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:58 pm

ha ha, Sky Garbage... I got to get me one of them kites...

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Great, now I have to put the baseball bat back in my truck.
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Kevin, i think you should put a baseball bat in a glass case with a mini baseball bat outside of it chained to the case that says, "break glass in case of emergency." Put it on the shack.

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 pm

I was there, it seemed the best thing that happened was direct communication w/ these folks, as some were pretty receptive, and I heard a kiter reminding them to clean up. And even tho i was po'd i that had to move a bit of trash out my way, they offered drinks to me and food to another kiter, so that was a nice gesture.

my car got hit with soda, but that didn't bother me nearly as much as the kiter today who was tailgating me today out on a tack, WTF?? I am a like an advanced beginner and trying to stay out of everyone's way, and a dude is like tailgating me (was way less then a kite line's length away --) And if you just happen to read this, dude, maybe think a second, like what if I had wiped out??

I like to see the people out there, but this seemed rather stupid. Yeah maybe if you are a friend and you know the person in front ya is super competent OK. Otherwise don't assume.

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:06 pm

for clarification I was on a red Vegass, and dude you were on a light green rebel(?), and observing the way your butt was sticking out it appears you've done about as much kitesurfing as me. (How's that for radical honesty?)
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Hey DZ, if that was me on the white rhino I appologize. I do kite close to people, especially when they dont obey the right of way. I am extremely competant and i can assure you there is nothing you could do to hit me even if you tried. but you make a good point, even if this wasnt me, that giving people room is respectful. i often see someone i know and like to swipe by just to show a quick smile and that doesnt seem to be a problem but as you say when someone you dont know especially at a beginner spot is around, you/I should give room so you/they dont feel congested. What kite where you flying?

Yuri

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Yuri, I know who you are, you sold me one of Don 's boards, when I see you kiting there is a sense of order. So I'm talking about another newbie.

And sorry I don't mean to gripe about this, but anyway I figure if I'm doing something that bothers someone, or that just doesn't seem cool, I hope somebody speaks up and tells me about it.