Sherman kite parking/launch?? WTF

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dewey
Old School
Old School
Sherman kite parking/launch?? WTF

Post by dewey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:59 pm

Okay Guys WTF is going on with the upper launch at Sherman?? The whole point of that launch was to MAKE MORE room, not TAKE UP more room. Yesterday there were 7 kites sitting right in the middle of the launch for hours!! Most of the kites still had their lines out. Since when did we decide it is cool to occupy as much space as possible? Maybe you guy's that leave your kites in the middle of the launch never catch kites, because then you'd know how hard it is to run around parked kites to catch a kite. Every WEEKEND it gets worse. The launch is looking like a patch quilt!!!!
Respect your fellow kiters and the launch, stack your FU@king kites!!!

Sorry but it had to be said.
Dewey

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Hey Dewey,

Ditto what you had to say!!!

I agree yesterday seemed to be somewhat crazy and a lot of kites just sitting in the launch/land area. I waited for 10+ minutes till I could pull my kite out and find a space to rig it. I also watched many having to wait while people tripped and fell trying to make space on the beach to land kites.

P.S. To who ever I bumped kites with yesterday, I'm very sorry! I tried being carefull and cautious of you when I was exiting the water. When I took a step towards the beach, I stepped into a small hole in the sand and rolled my ankle causing me to send my kite into yours. It was not me being unsafe or stupid and thankfully nothing bad happened, but it gave a new respect for the safety of that beach. I try diligently to be super safe and not f*#k around at SI, but I know bad things can happen... I actually had the exact same "bumping" experience and missed a close call with a kiter earlier the same day, so I know how you felt. Once again, I'm sorry!

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:54 pm

ah man, thanks for saying that Dewey, when I was up there two weekends ago I was throwing WTFs the second time I had to launch/land a kite. Some monkey was sitting in the middle with a 14m Rhino for at least half an hour. I ended up pushing a bunch of kites up to the bushes.

I'm not there enough to be bossing shit around but if nobody else minds I can definitely do that job next weekend.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:54 pm

Maybe some of the locals could make up some tickets. If you get one on your kite you have to pay it to an "events" jar that will go towards the next party and or whatever we as a group need.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:57 pm

why not just start rigging kites facing the other direction? no one uses the other end of that rigging area. sure it's a little sketch because there's no "hill" to launch from, but it's not that bad...
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:11 pm

I just started dragging people's kites out of the way and stacking them myself. If someone has left their lines stretched out for more than 5 minutes, I don't give a crap if I tangle them up when I move their kites.

In my experience, many of the people doing this are first-timers to Sherman. Please note I am not expressing localism here. However, I have had several interactions this summer with what I will call kite tourists -- French, German, Turkish, etc. -- who have read about SI and found it on Kiteforum or whatever and just show up for the week or weekend or day. If a guy is wearing a thong bikini under his harness, it's a pretty good sign they aren't from the U.S. One guy was teaching his buddy how to fly a 4M kite in the rear launch and was asked to stop, but just ignored us.

Basically, I feel like you need to respect people unless they are being disrespectful, in which case, just take charge and take over. You're not damaging anyone's kite by moving it, although you shouldn't even have to do that.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

S I LOCAL
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by S I LOCAL » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks for speaking up Dewey.
I was the very first person to kite that beach and have seen it all.
I am so glad that I am not the only one completly dissgusted with the way things are going there, launch sucks, parking sucks, people with thier dogs not on leashes suck, windsurfers attitude suck and all the garbage pumps, hoses , broken battens, plastic from new kites suck!
Rig it, ride it hard, then put it away!

sorry bout spelling.

YOU ALL SUCK BITCHES :evil: !

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:29 pm

Paul

The problem is not just people from other country's. It's every weekend!!

Adamrod

We stopped launching at the beach to make room. Now we have to move again? Isn't it easier to just stack your (not you) kite? It's more a respecting others thing.
Dewey

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:49 pm

Nah, I think that stacking the kites is definitely the way to do it, and usually, especially on weekdays, it's totally cool. but for those of you who kited on July 7th (the day of the sherman party) it was INSANE. kites were stacked and there still wasn't enough room...

i was just wondering why no one uses the other side of that grassy area . . .
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

gnukid
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by gnukid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:55 pm

S.I. Local? Dewey? Could it be really that hard to speak to people when you're there? You need to be clear with people about what their doing and what would work best, under the circumstances, however your tone at present is not a welcome approach.

Now I am looking for you to talk to about your improving your tone of voice.