Bowverconfidence

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Bowverconfidence

Post by kitekarl » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:43 pm

In 4 years of kiting I had my first close call today at Sherman. My fourth session on the waroo 12. Ikitesurf showed 18-25 on the graph. Dewey launched my by the picnic table and though I had just checked my LE before launching the kite seemed a bit twitchy to me as if the LE wasn't holding shape very well. I was making sure that I had some back line tension to maintain shape. As I walked up the trail it continued to be twitchy and by the time I got to the launch it was starting epileptic convulsions becoming totally unstable. Took a tumble and skinned my shin but was able to get up again and maintain control. Thanks to all who helped. At first I thought my LE must have gone flat but when I got the kite down it seemed real solid just as I had pumped it up. Now I normally fly my 12M nemesis in these conditions and don't have any problems so if the ikite sensor was right, I wasn't over rigged although at the time it did seem stronger than 25 even if it was a bit gusty. I had over 60 sessions on my 12M xbow last year and had it out several times up to 35 and never did the LE deform in this way. I know bows need backline tension to maintain shape so this experience leads me to believe that in gusty wind the waroos are susceptible to deformation. I saw the same thing happen yesterday to a guy on a waroo 14 at Sherman so I came up with some new learnings on this. If it's so windy that the bridles by the tips are showing signs of pulling in a bit then it's time to switch down. I weigh 190 so I should be able to hold down the 12 beyond the 30 knot wind range that Best recommends for a 165lb rider but now I'll be conservative with that.

Blackbird
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackbird » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:02 am

I was in the launch when this happened. Consequently, you had to ditch the kite, and I had to duck and avoid flying lines. No problem, but your assessment seems all wrong. Basically, your kite was under inflated in the LE. Either you didn't pump it up enough, or you have a leak. Period. Bow kites only act this way when they don't have enough pressure in the LE. Plus, they do NOT need back line tension. That is the nature of their depower ability.
If it's so windy that the bridles by the tips are showing signs of pulling in a bit then it's time to switch down.
Wrong again. If you are seeing this, your kite does not have enough pressure in the LE. Get a guage. Put at least 9psi in the LE, prefer about 10.

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:49 am

Blackbird wrote:I was in the launch when this happened. Consequently, you had to ditch the kite, and I had to duck and avoid flying lines. No problem, but your assessment seems all wrong. Basically, your kite was under inflated in the LE. Either you didn't pump it up enough, or you have a leak. Period. Bow kites only act this way when they don't have enough pressure in the LE. Plus, they do NOT need back line tension. That is the nature of their depower ability.
If it's so windy that the bridles by the tips are showing signs of pulling in a bit then it's time to switch down.
Wrong again. If you are seeing this, your kite does not have enough pressure in the LE. Get a guage. Put at least 9psi in the LE, prefer about 10.
These were my thoughts exactly, it did act like it didn't have enough LE pressure so I was surprised when I got the kite down and it felt solid, really solid. I did notice that when flying it seemed to have uneven bridle tension out towards the tips. This was making the kite flatten out and back draft causing the kite to drift back in the window and then power up. I did not ditch the kite. The guy that was there on Saturday on the Waroo 14 did so maybe you are thinking of him. Again, thanks to all that helped. K

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:16 am

I want to take this oppertunity to say, JUST becouse a kite has tons of depower does not mean it should be flown to near it's DESIGNED top end. PLEASE save yourself (and those that love you) a lot of grief and fly the right size kite for the conditions.
Your sessions will be maxamized when your flying the right size kite, ALSO if something goes wrong or changes you'll still have THAT margin of safty...
L.M.G.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:30 am

I want to add, I dont put more then 7psi in any kite I own! Generally my 14m runs 5.5-6psi, 10m gets 6-6.5, 8m gets about 7psi.
The reason for the graduation of pressure is related to the diameter of the L.E., the larger the stiffer (to bend) with the same psi.
Overly inflated kites get worked much harder, there life span is shorter and I've found they are MUCH harder to relaunch then a "properly" inflated kite. THe way I check inflation is by feel, if the kiter is "very hard" to bend its over inflated.
Why kill a good kite for no good reason,
L.M.G.

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:52 am

I only put 7psi in the LE of my Cabrinha Crossbow 12M
steve

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:09 am

There really isnt a need to pump over 7psi-or as firm as my right buttock. Of course everyones guage reads a little differently. Does antyone know why the new slingshot pump guages read up to 20+psi. They must have got a good price on them becasue it makes it ahrd to go by anything but feel.

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:39 am

LMG, you are right about rigging the right size for conditions. In these conditions I should have had room to spare being that it was peaking at 25. I'm 190 and I've taken my Ckites out many times and held them down to 30. In this case it seemed to me that the bridles were pulling more near the tips causing the LE to flatten out an buckle. It's for this reason that I think these kites should be flown more in their bottom to mid range.

Scotty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Scotty » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 am

There were a few people out @ Sherman on their 11m bow kites, including my friend who is 155lbs and was on his 11m GK sonic and was very comfortable. We were both out from 8am-12pm. Hope this helps your rigging questions.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:52 am

Karl your kite was acting a bit weird when you were flying it near the back launch. It looked like something was up. I think I even told you to get it to the beach. All the waroo's I have seen look super stable in the air. Your's was kind of twichy. I don't think it's inherant in the kite.

BTW I thought the guy with the Arc was trying to out do your little drag when he launched his kite in the back launch. Straight down wind leading to a 50 yard sprint/drag. He stopped just before the tables. There was a large group watching to see the carnage.
Dewey