Haut board repair / polyester?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Haut board repair / polyester?

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Sanity check... I have an older custom Haut 8'0" surfboard gifted to me by my friend's widow. I had revered this gorgeous board in memory of my good friend but it has sunk in that he'd rather me ride it. Problem is there's a ding near the nose and it appears that under the wood veneer I can see what looks like closed-cell foam - maybe Clark Foam given this board's age. Does anyone know Doug Haut well enough to confirm he used Clark or similar closed-cell blanks? My understanding is that closed-cell repairs need to be done with polyester resin and not two-part epoxies - is that true?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Haut board repair / polyester?

Post by jjm » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:49 pm

I am not an expert, but you can't use polyester resin on an EPS foam, the solvents dissolve the foam (learned that the hard way).

I think you can use epoxy on a PU foam though.

If you're DIY'ing a repair, make sure to get another opinion. If you're taking it somewhere to get repaired, they should be able to choose what is best for the repair.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 am

Ah, thanks. I prefer to use epoxy, so I'll double-check with some gorge shapers, Like Brian Hinde of Open Ocean who I know have used closed-cell foam in the past. You are correct in that polyester will melt open-cell foam (EPS, aka styrofoam). I've used both types of resin in the past and found polyester to be a PITA over two-part epoxies like West System.

sewerrat
Joey
Joey

Post by sewerrat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 pm

I think your use of the word "custom" may be incorrect if the board is painted a solid color and has, as you said, a wood veneer laminate. If those conditions exist, the board is most likely a Surftech production board which would have an eps core, some spackle type white filler, then an epoxied wood veneer and fiberglass laminate. Buy a Ding All epoxy repair kit or mix up some epoxy with cabosil etc. If it's clear, has a wood stringer, the foam is smooth and slightly yellow (Clark,) and smells like polyester resin when you sand it.... Regardless of construction, a great board from a legend shaper, enjoy!