Newcomer trying to read the local weather

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
RAkite
Joey
Joey
Newcomer trying to read the local weather

Post by RAkite » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:11 am

Hi

I recently moved to South Bay Area from Denmark.

From what I'm able to see on this Forum it seems Kiting only starts sometime in March.

But back in dk a forecast like this weekend would mean a lot of kiters on the water (Coyote on Saturday and Alameda on Sunday). And the water is colder there this time of year.

But is there reason not to go. Anything to watch out for (not used to much current or tide).

Any advice is appreciated.

Br Rasmus

alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newcomer trying to read the local weather

Post by alexglebov » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 pm

I plan to go to Alameda today and check it out. Tomorrow Alameda is not good for me, because of the South wind (too gusty).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Welcome! I have to admit I don't know the conditions this weekend because I suffered a mountain bike injury requiring surgery and haven't looked at the wind forecast for 4 months. But in general your assumptions are correct, fewer kiters in the winter because the winds are storm driven (more gusty, less consistent, less reliable) whereas in the summer they are driven by thermal gradients. Some people also don't like the winter because as you point out it is colder, and also the runoff from the rain can make the water dirty.

The general advice is to not go out if there is no one else out. This is a big community, so if people are not kiting, there is a good reason.

If you have nothing else to do and want to kite, go to the beach and just talk to the other kiters. They will tell you everything you need to know to get a sesh!

alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alexglebov » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:38 pm

There were a lot of kiters today at Alameda, so I went out too. Wind was OK, but too gusty. Be careful during launch, I saw one guy today lost control launching his kite, kite drop into power zone and he was dragged across the bike path. He walked out OK, because the tree stopped his kite. It looked scary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by manplesvanuatu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:17 pm

welcomed Alex,

your description of the guy getting dragged over the bike path is something very common at Alameda and third avenue. Although the general notion of: "we have to start somewhere" is true. Lots of newbies frequent Alameda and also venture to Third avenue. They come with not the right equipment and little awareness to safety of others. So please keep an eye over them if you are a seasoned kiter. One word of advice is to be ready for the season with a correct quiver. Have ready for a small and big kite and not with a one big kite quiver! The early spring winds are wicked. The newbies that start learning at Alameda often have only one kite. A 12 or a 14M. One showed up at third last saturday. Although the wind was up and down and not too strong, he slipped on the mud and it was almost catastrophic! those 35+ mph wind days are lurking in spring. If a beginner think they can handle that with a 12M it would be foolish. If you all read this message please keep an eye on the newbies and advise them to pack their kites away and try to not help them launch it. It is for this reason that a person had to be carted away to the emergency room practically every single year! No execption.

see you on the beach

paul

manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by manplesvanuatu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 pm

I meant welcome RAkite:-)