LOST BEST TWIN TIP AT WADDELL

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Beccaaguilar
Joey
Joey
LOST BEST TWIN TIP AT WADDELL

Post by Beccaaguilar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:06 pm

Hey fellow kiters. I lost my best kiteboard on Sunday, August 31st at Waddell beach. It's a 138, please call or text Rebecca Aguilar at 415 847 3686 if you find it. Or email beccaaguilar08@gmail.com. Feel free to check out the board here: http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/en-us/2015-profanity

Thank you!

Rebecca

schwede
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: LOST BEST TWIN TIP AT WADDELL

Post by schwede » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 pm

There is a lost and found section you should post this on. I guess I am not surprised when you go to Wadell after a month experience kiteboarding.

nathaniel_e
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nathaniel_e » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:36 pm

Harsh

akhodakivskiy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by akhodakivskiy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 am

I think it's fine to be at Waddell after a month of kite boarding. In fact I finished my very first tack in the jaws of a 3 meters wave in Cape Town. Fun times!

Best of luck finding your board! I once lost a board too - could not body drag upwind to it. I was so pissed off that I then forgot the bar on the beach as well.

waves are good
Contributor
Contributor

Post by waves are good » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:53 am

I saw someone at Waddell this past weekend with a GoJoe on their twin tip. First one I've seen there in 12 plus years.

I saw a panicked twin tipper on the outside trying to flag people down to help find his board. I checked on his welfare and told him to body drag to the beach. He appeared completely out of his element.

Really folks? While at least the dude with the GoJoe had the sense to know his lack of skill and give himself a better chance to find his board neither of these folks showed any level of skill required for a cold water ocean environment with currents, waves and high wind.

There have been countless other folks kiting Waddell lately with limited skill nor regard for the safety of others around them.

As we move into the fall and conditions continue to improve with larger swell along with colder water and air I can only hope that people start having some common sense and don't continue to kite in conditions beyond their abilities. While somebody may help you, each and every one of us should leave the beach assuming we are on our own out there. Be self sufficient. Good luck everyone, kite safely and give the ocean the respect she deserves.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:56 pm

waves are good wrote:As we move into the fall and conditions continue to improve with larger swell along with colder water and air I can only hope that people start having some common sense and don't continue to kite in conditions beyond their abilities. While somebody may help you, each and every one of us should leave the beach assuming we are on our own out there. Be self sufficient. Good luck everyone, kite safely and give the ocean the respect she deserves.
Couldn't agree more. The ocean is a very different environment to the bay. Kiting in waves requires a few things:
- Knowing how/when to get over waves.
- Ability/experience to deal with a swim in through surf when things go wrong. Especially, having thought about exit plans for the spot they are kiting. Some spots won't be just a simple swim.
- Knowledge of the right of way in the surf. It is different to normal right of way rules. Not respecting it can endanger other people as well as yourself. Here's a nice summary: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12363

It's so much better to learn this gradually rather than going straight out in powerful surf. More fun, too!

ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ddubwinokur » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:03 pm

OK, so seeing as this thread is now about Twintip kiters in the waves...

As a fairly confident kiter, with 4+ years on a TT at all the inside the bay spots (can jump high, do backrolls, upwind no problem, water self-rescue fine, etc), what progression do you recommend to going at Waddell? Is there some intermediate step other than showing up at Waddell and watching, learning, then trying?

Just curious. I have often wondered about going in Waddell but I don't really know all the exact skills needed and what the usual process is to build them..

dw

akhodakivskiy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by akhodakivskiy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:31 pm

ddubwinokur: these videos should give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/user/KitekahunasCapeTown

cleepa: I'd only add that we should be more cooperative too. If there is a dozen kites on the water, there is no reason why anyone should swim all the way without getting a little help. This Sunday I gave a pull to someone whose line broke. It took 5 minutes of my time, and saved him an hour. Good for karma too I guess. A lot of times I see guys just sitting around and discussing how long it will take this dude to swim all the way back to the beach.

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:51 pm

waves are good wrote:a cold water ocean environment
Water doesn't feel too cold these days - I almost forgot my 3/4 wetsuit on Sunday, but wish I had. A wet top and shorts would have been fine.

Beccaaguilar
Joey
Joey

Post by Beccaaguilar » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Back to my lost board...if any of you see it--give me a call.