3rd Ave - Kiter accident at upper launch

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sillybilly
Joey
Joey
3rd Ave - Kiter accident at upper launch

Post by sillybilly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:54 pm

A bad accident happened today at 3rd ave at the upper launch area around 5:20. From what I gathered (was packing my kite up at the time and looking down so didn't see first hand), he was a beginner/intermediate kiter and did most everything right during the initial launch. The upper launch area was very gusty today - at times light (6-10) and other times upto 20 or so. Just after launch, the wind lulled and his kite drifted down and into the center of the wind window. Somehow the kite got pointed in the opposite direction away from the water and he was getting dragged towards to rocks, didn't release from his kite and got slammed into the rocks right there. Injuries looked pretty severe to his head (no helmet) and his wrists. Fire truck and ambulance came pretty quick and the guy (i heard his name might be Larry?) was fighting the help and acting very delusional. I sincerely hope he is OK and recovering from the accident, people who saw it first hand were pretty disturbed from the incident, it was really bad...

Anyhow, just thought to post this to share and see if anyone knows if he's doing OK. Also a good reminder to always wear a helmet and keep your emergency release at your fingertips.

troybo13
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: 3rd Ave - Kiter accident at upper launch

Post by troybo13 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm

I left maybe 5 minutes earlier.
Earlier I had to catch a kite because a newbie ejected when trying to land his kite after getting out of the water.
The wind conditions were definitely not as bad as many other times. I would even say it was only mildly gusty.

I hope the kiter is okay and heals soon.
Always a tragedy when someone gets hurt.
Moved from Hilton Head Island, SC to Bay Area
Slingshot Asylum 138
SS RPM 12m, 10m, 8m

marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinkiter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 pm

That was the worst thing I've seen in my 4 seasons of kiting, by far. I did not see his launch, but I turned around as he was rolling on the ground, fully powered, and watched him slam the rocks, and I won't be forgetting the sight or sound of that anytime soon. I ran to him with several others, got the kite detached, and tried to keep him from getting up. Major laceration on head and his wrist almost wasn't connected to his arm anymore. Really lucky he wasn't bleeding seriously with those two injuries. Had a difficult time getting the dispatcher to understand our location. I kept repeating "3rd Avenue San Mateo Upper Kite Launch north of driving range" but they kept asking me more questions. Thanks to the other person with phone who got them going. It seemed like a lifetime before the paramedics finally showed. The guy, whose name may have been either Lyn or Larry, kept trying to get up, and then tried to refuse medical help and had to be physically restrained in order to be put on stretcher. I am assuming he was in some kind of shock or something as it seemed really clear from he state of his injuries he needed immediate and serious care.

He was on a 10m Rebel so he shouldn't have been overpowered considering his size. Again, I didn't see the launch but I know he launched with kite towards water, and it seems to me the only way for him to have gained the kind of momentum he gained was by crossing 12 with the kite, then over-correcting in the other direction. It wasn't windy enough to get lofted on a 10. I hope he is ok. Reminder to self; keep it low and go, and get that goofy ass helmet I have never used out of the closet.

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 pm

uh, that sounds horrible. Hope he is ok and will recover quickly!

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Fuck that's a downer. Hope he's alright.

If the conditions were similar to yesterday (Wednesday), then the wind was very shifty. Mentally prepare yourself for the worst when you're launching, and be ready to punch out.

And keep in mind that if it's blowing way off shore (like it was Wednesday), you're going to be standing much further downwind during the launch than you usually do, otherwise you're launching too hot. And, if you're having to do that, remember that the wind could shift back in a second and make your kite lull backwards.

When in doubt, 1) be sure to be wearing a helmet, or 2) wait for a better day.

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitewing » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm

I was the one who launched him, and was also among the first to attend to him after the accident.

I launched him without incident - he appeared to be an intermediate kiter and knew what he was doing. The kite came up fine, it seemed to be a bit large for his size and the current wind / gusts but not excessively large, and after a successful launch I walked away to go pump up my own kite and talk to my friend.

A minute or two later as I was walking back to my kite after talking to my friend, I saw his kite lull, and he momentarily lost control, and was dragged on the ground from the launch area to the edge of the grass. At that point, the kite was somewhat slack and was at around 8 o'clock in the window. As soon as I saw this happen, I dropped my equipment and sprinted towards him in an attempt to anchor him on the ground.

Had the kiter let go of the bar at this point, or ejected, he probably would've been fine, and he had about 2 seconds where this would have been possible, but instead, he was startled, and from what I saw, instinctively pulled in on the bar. At this point the kite redirected to 3 or 4 or looped (can't remember), and he was launched about 10 feet into the air and slammed into the rocks just beside the top of the path, with his right wrist breaking his fall, and his head hitting the rocks after that.

We got to him no more than 5 seconds after the impact, and others came a few seconds later. His right wrist was severely injured with an open fracture, and he had major open lacerations to his head, but he did not appear to lose consciousness. He was indeed a bit delusional and in a severe state of shock, but knew where he was, knew his name, his wife's name, the model of his car, where he lived, etc.

I suspect he will be OK after some time, but this was without a doubt, the worst injury, kiting or otherwise, that I've witnessed and responded to firsthand.

As others mentioned, the conditions were gusty and not ideal, but not the worst that 3rd brings, and manageable overall. My understanding was that this was his first time flying that particular kite and bar, so inexperience with his equipment could have played a part.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and to emergency services for their prompt response. I've been in a bit of a state of shock all evening since the incident, and writing this is helping a bit (as has a few beers) - I sincerely hope that the kiter makes a full recovery.
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:46 am

I wish the ratio of helmets to kiters was higher.
Hope he makes a full recovery.

mikecim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikecim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:11 am

Hope he make a quick recovery. Thanks for the update.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 am

Oh God, terrible kitemare, reading this brought tears into my eyes. I hope he makes a full recovery and returns to 3rd.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:54 am

Ok, This sucks and I hope the injured makes a full recovery, but I have to put in my 2 cents.

I didn't kite yesterday, but I was at the lower launch at the time of the accident.

There were two expert kiters out, one on a 7 and another on a 9m and they both looked powered. It was extremely gusty and shifty. So I guess it is what you perceive, but it definitely was not a day for beginners or those who do not know their kite very well. I was debating taking my 8m or my 11m. I think if you are a beginner/intermediate kiter taking a 10m in those conditions you should be extra careful and realize if something goes wrong be ready to release.

That being said, and correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounds like the guy's kite oversheeted and then re-powered up in the gusty air. If thats the case, it can't hurt to depower your kite before launching. This will prevent oversheet and also help out when gusty.