Access rights for kitesurfing in the south bay

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
paolo
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by paolo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey All,
As a kiter for 9 years now, I'm starting to enjoy finding new locations for kiting. I've recently discovered a nice spot in the south bay and would like to learn what rights we have as kiters. More specifically, I'm interested in learning about what it takes to ensure access rights are protected for a given site. Hopefully someone can answer some questions for me.

1) Assuming the land I launch from is public land (which is this case it very clearly is), are there any legal reasons we are not allowed to enter the bay and kite?

2) What would be the right approach to getting more "formal" access to the spot. Do I simply continue to kite at this location, start to invite more and more kiters, and try to establish it as a kiting location? or do I try to pursue "official approval" from the governing body of the land (in this case it is a city).

3) How can I get help from organizations (i.e. SFBA) to guide me with any issues I may run into as I try to establish this location as a kitesurfing spot?

4) Would love to chat with someone who has experience in establishing and protecting other locations. Is there anyone out there (PM me)?

Thanks in advanced (from a new SFBA/SIKO member!)

- Paolo

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Re: Access rights for kitesurfing in the south bay

Post by CdoG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 am

I would say contact the SFBA and they can tell you.
and you want "continued access " as youve been kiting there for a while!
http://www.sfba.org/

good luck
Last edited by CdoG on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 am

Whenever you start a new fight club, just remember the first rule of fight club }|&#

paolo
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by paolo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 am

Cdog -

thanks for the tip. I sent an email to them
Last night. Hopefully they can give me some direction

Aloha -

lol... I got your drift... I think that is the strategy I'm leaning towards.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:48 am

There is little to no kiteboarding accessible land in the S.bay. Even the public land has restrictions to kites. Kite your spot until someone with authority tells you to leave. Try to get as many people to go to that spot regularly because it will establish a precedent. Work with SFBA to identify it as a spot. Of course, try to keep that spot clean and pristine as if you were never there and don't disturb any wildlife that may be there.

Also, know who owns the land you are using. That way you can present a reasonable argument when someone does kick you out. Which they will even if they do not have jurisdiction over the land in question.

If there is a regular group doing reasonable and safe recreational activities while being good stewards of the land in use, the powers that be will have a hard time asking you to leave. Good luck.

paolo
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by paolo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks for the advice Ramsey.

After a couple more good sessions and input from some of my other kiting buddies, I'll post the location and what we found so we can start to establish this place for all the south bay's.

Definitely not a beginner, or even intermediate spot, so hesitant to open the flood gates right away.

Paolo

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:13 pm

AND remember the first rule ....

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58 pm

Hello, Larry and Sergei, if you guys are reading this site, we need some help here. Everyone knows it's total BS that kites scare away wildlife (so, I guess 747s they don't mind?).

We need a legal defense fund. Not all of us can afford to go to Micronesia twice a week. Help a brother out.

Thank you.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Bulldog wrote:Hello, Larry and Sergei, if you guys are reading this site, we need some help here. Everyone knows it's total BS that kites scare away wildlife (so, I guess 747s they don't mind?).

We need a legal defense fund. Not all of us can afford to go to Micronesia twice a week. Help a brother out.

Thank you.
See, it is time for some overdue kiteboarding philanthropy, in many ways.

paolo
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by paolo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 pm

Bulldog, I assume Larry and Sergei are the local attorneys? Would be sweet to have a little legal backing for all these
Access rights issues.