Kite size suggestions?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tim_fred
Contributor
Contributor
Kite size suggestions?

Post by tim_fred » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Ok, it's time to retire my beat up kites. Currently I ride 2007 North Rebels 9 and 12 M. These were like the 9th and 10th kites I owned, so I guess that makes me an old-timer in kite years. And I don't get enough sessions in to manage to demo a ton of new kites, so I'm looking for some advice to minimize my search.

What's the modern equivalent size for twintip riders in the bay? I'm average weight (170 lbs). For those of you who go back far enough, my go-to "C" kite was a 12 or 14....what does that mean these days? 10M? 11M? Then what's a good high-wind kite? 7m?

Probably go back to North Rebels, maybe Evos, maybe something else. So many good kites these days.

Any advice appreciated.

-Tim

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: Kite size suggestions?

Post by Aloha » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 am

I've ridden both kites, North makes solid consistent gear year after year. Rebel has more range than the Evo in my opinion because once you get your speed up it can wing out a little bit more and squeek out more low-end on the apparent wind with more projected area. The modern Rebel is also a great sheet-and-jump old-school hangtime kite because of that cut vs the poppier Evo

I am 195 if I were to do 2-kite quiver on Rebels and mostly was riding 3rd it would probably be 9 and 12 if I only rode TT

3-kite quiver 7 / 9 / 12

For 170 I think it might look something more like 8 / 11 or 6 / 8 / 11. But I think Rebel to maximize range makes the most sense if you're going 2 kite. If you're adding waves swap in Fuse to keep it simple in the event of a wipeout. I think 5-lines are sweet though for everything else, they feel great. Note that while the Evo is 5-line compatible it's not a true tensioned fifth line flying kite

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 am

8/10 north Evo or Cabrinha Switchblades
steve

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 am

I don’t think you could go wrong with a three kite quiver of 7/10/13 or 7/9/12. Or a two kite quiver of 8/12 or 8/11.

I ended up getting 6,8,10,12 but mainly because the RPM is not a kite with lots of "range". The six meter starts in the 30's.. its not a necessity but is nice to have when it NUKES!

My brother lives in Seattle and the Rebel is very popular up there, especially in the small sizes. He takes his 7m into the 40's. If you got the money get three kites... Where to you kite most? Do you travel?
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm 170 and +1 on 6 / 8 / 11... I was riding 7 / 9 / 12 last year, riding 8 / 11 this year, and would pick up a 6 in a heartbeat.

tim_fred
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tim_fred » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks guys, this helps. I like being powered, so sounds like an 11 (not a 10) and maybe an 8.
NCKite_Ryder wrote: If you got the money get three kites... Where to you kite most? Do you travel?
I used to do the 4 kite quiver until I realized I spent more time on the beach agonizing about which kite to pull out than actually riding. Now it's mostly a 1-kite quiver except when it's nuking or when I'm traveling. I spend most of my time close to home near Berkeley but I have a Hawaii trip coming up so I need a good high wind kite as well.

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kite size suggestions?

Post by tomerp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm 185 and have 7 9 12 15

Many times at third I feel like a 11 woulda been just perfect tho

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm

tim_fred wrote:Thanks guys, this helps. I like being powered, so sounds like an 11 (not a 10) and maybe an 8.
NCKite_Ryder wrote: If you got the money get three kites... Where to you kite most? Do you travel?
I used to do the 4 kite quiver until I realized I spent more time on the beach agonizing about which kite to pull out than actually riding. Now it's mostly a 1-kite quiver except when it's nuking or when I'm traveling. I spend most of my time close to home near Berkeley but I have a Hawaii trip coming up so I need a good high wind kite as well.
When I was in Maui this past fall, 5 and 6 were high wind kites.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:25 pm

tim_fred wrote: I used to do the 4 kite quiver until I realized I spent more time on the beach agonizing about which kite to pull out than actually riding. Now it's mostly a 1-kite quiver except when it's nuking or when I'm traveling. I spend most of my time close to home near Berkeley but I have a Hawaii trip coming up so I need a good high wind kite as well.
I don't really agonize but i do admit i make the wrong decision often... however I just go back to shore and grab the right kite.. its nice to be just perfect!

IF you are picky about your days and only kite when its super primo I would get a 7/10. Most kites are designed around a 10m, and a 7 is a nice highwind kite. Ask Bayareakiteadmin about his 10m rally... (i think he has one)
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -