'Little Baja' @ TI

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
hattem
Joey
Joey
'Little Baja' @ TI

Post by hattem » Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm

All,
I have an ambitious project in mind and need your help:
I live on Yerba Buena Island (next to Treasure Island) and as most of you know, TI is happening pretty much most summer days - only problem is: there's no beach, it's all rocks (similar to Sherman's little baja, but much less in height).
I drive by everyday looking at the white caps and thinking, what a waste of wind.

There's is a small grassy area on the west side of the island ideal for launch, which I've tested.
I'm looking to build a 'Little Baja' over the rocks by that grassy area - and need your help.
We'll need:
1- Sand bags (50 or 100 pound) to lay in between and over the rocks. I'm guessing 40-60 of them will suffice. (does anybody know where they got the ones at little baja from?)
2- Maybe some carpet, but I think just the sand bags will do the trick.
3- Someone w/ a truck to help bring in the sand bags.
4- Volunteers to help build it.
5- $$ donations to buy the sand bags

I'll add some photos soon to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
Let me know your thoughts or if you'd like to help.

robert-g
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

'Little Baja' @ TI

Post by robert-g » Tue May 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Send me a PM, I work for a carpet company. We usually
Take carpet out of homes that is practically new.
You may have to come to San Rafael to pick it up.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 'Little Baja' @ TI

Post by Loscocco » Tue May 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Lots of carpet would really help. It has really good wind but once you are out you are on your own for support. I would def use it though. esp would be handy for downwinders ETC.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

'Little Baja' @ TI

Post by kitet » Tue May 01, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm in. I don't have a truck but I can donate $ and help build it.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 pm

you might consider asking a few questions,.. first

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Greg's right...
such as:
Who controls the maintenance on the rip-rap around TI?
Who owns/controls the property...similar government entity to the Sherman Island Levee district or Land Managment group?
Do you need special use permits?
Will you be tresspassing?
What's the plan if you break down out in the water...? Pray? Coast Guard radio?

The little baja launch at Sherman is there because of RVWA/SIKO's funds and efforts. They have people who do the leg work and have been there a long time. They also have land use agreements with the land owners/controllers.

Good luck and keep us posted!

windsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windsurfer » Wed May 02, 2012 12:22 am

Please do not do any rogue "improvements" out there. The SFBA has been working closely with the City of San Francisco and the Treasure Island Development Authority to improve the launch at the NE corner of the island. If these types of rogue things start happening and kill some of that good will, it would definitely hurt some of our short and medium term goals.

Treasure Island can have some fantastic winds but it is a really sketchy launch with strong currents and no easy place to get out of the water if the winds die or you have equipment problems.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 am

What is the status of TI currently?

I went there once this season the NE launch is still in tact and nothing is gated etc. BUT I did notice a "No Sailboarding" sign.. Is this enforced? Any update on SFBA's efforts & where they stand in re: to compliance / restrictions at that spot would be great.

To Erin's point it makes an amazing downwinder spot for Crissy -> TI

windsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windsurfer » Wed May 02, 2012 7:34 am

There is a core group of windsurfers who continue to use the boat ramp at the NE corner of the island (as many as 50 of us on windy days). The City and Navy allow us to park behind the abandoned apartment building and launch there. We are trying to get access back to the old parking lot and install two ramps (upwind and downwind) that would allow easier entry and exit. The long term TI plan shows a water access park in this location but given the state of the overall island development, that is a long way away. We are trying to leverage funds and the need to mitigate the temporary loss of access at Crissy for the Americas Cup to accelerate this.

Many years ago I saw Chip and a couple of others launch kites out there but it is really really tricky with nearby power lines and a rocky foot scraping walk down the boat ramp and a body drag around the point. Not for the faint at heart.

Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by Captain John » Fri May 04, 2012 10:52 am

I teach and ride in the waters around TI. It is a great spot for getting wind. The launch is not too friendly for kiting and requires experience in precarious situations. There is simply very little space, due to housing, fences, and breakwall/cement to set your lines and position yourself to launch. Once in the water, you must always be prepared to rescue yourself because there's not much chance of you getting blown back in towards TI automatically. Even with performing some minor improvement, like rock-carpeting, it's still a sketchy a land-based operation. And like others have said, it's not good to interfere with sites' infrastructure without official approval. A lot of other windseekers enjoy the site as it is, and they get along pretty well with the way things are. I'm sure they would be bummed if suddenly access was denied due to some kind of unapproved site alteration.

My hope is that the new plans for TI go into effect quickly. It would clear of air of buildings and allow the fetch to continue over the northeast corner of the island. It would be sick!

You can see these plans here: http://www.sftreasureisland.org/ftp/dev ... 20Plan.pdf
KiteTheBay.com