Carbon Fiber Board Repair Help

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
reyrivera
Old School
Old School
Carbon Fiber Board Repair Help

Post by reyrivera » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:59 am

Does anyone know a shop that can help me fix a damaged 2012 Aguera 69 carbon fiber raceboard? I use this board with a surf foil, prone surfing, rides like a longboard. I live in the East Bay (Concord/Walnut Creek). I may have to drive to Santa Cruz if I can't find a shop nearby.

The board has a 4 1/2" rail damage. I was gonna try and patch it but I noticed the damage has water in it and the crack was deeper than anticipated. The board is fully dry now. I've made my own polyester fiberglass surfboards and repaired them, but I have never repaired a hollow construction sandwich carbon fiber board before.

I've searched online and repair most DIYers say its no different than polyester or epoxy resin.
CarbonBoard.Cracked.Rail.png
CarbonBoard.Cracked.Rail.png (909.57KiB)Viewed 3904 times
CarbonBoard.Cracked.Rail.Sanded.png
CarbonBoard.Cracked.Rail.Sanded.png (835.8KiB)Viewed 3904 times

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Carbon Fiber Board Repair Help

Post by sflinux » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 am

If the board uses EPS foam, DO NOT USE polyester resin! Use epoxy resin.
If it was my board, I would:
1) Rinse the damaged area with fresh water to try to remove all salt debris.
2) Dry the board with the hole pointing down (drys faster in the summer). You can attach a pump to the area to speed up drying, and /or store the board in the sun.
3) Sand the paint away from the damaged area.
4) Clean with rubbing alcohol.
5) Tape boundaries with painters tape.
6) Patch it with epoxy and glass.
7) Light sand and repeat epoxy as necessary. Adding a white tint to the epoxy would match the color of the board better.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:34 am

You should use epoxy on this repair, not polyester. Polyester is finicky and since this is on the rail you want strength. Follow sflinux's steps and you should be good. I personally prefer West System epoxy.

There's a Tap Plastics in San Leandro you can get epoxy and S-glass (don't use E-glass):
https://www.tapplastics.com/departments/fiberglass

Air conditioning or a dehumidifier can help expedite your moisture extraction. Don't be afraid of cutting the gouge open just a wee bit more if the water is being stubborn; you really want to get it all out.

Also you may want to ask about UV inhibitors; sometimes it's built into the mix, sometimes not.

Good Luck!

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:28 am

Okay thanks. I got some epoxy with UV inhibitors and strips of carbon weave. There is a Tap Plastics in my neighborhood, easier to get materials. I ordered a 4" x 5" carbon weave from Amazon for $19.99, suppose to come in this afternoon.

This is my first carbon board, so, might as well learn how to fix it myself since I'm so far away from surf shops.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:45 pm

I cracked the rear triangle of a carbon road bike a few years ago, just above the derailleur hanger which bent but stayed on with just one of three screws. I investigated professional repair options but it didn't make sense to get it back on the road, so I used some glass lying around to wrap the replacement derailleur hanger. I mixed in the alloy bonding powder to the West Systems epoxy and it has bonded and lasted quite well. Bike's been productively repurposed mounted on a trainer that my wife and I share by swapping seats with some old taillight brackets screwed on at the correct seatpost heights as stoppers.

Good Luck!

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Hey Rey, how did this repair go for you?