The Future of BAK Part IV: The Forum is For Sale Again

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Moderator: BayAreaKite

The Future of BAK Part IV: The Forum is For Sale Again

Postby BayAreaKite » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 pm

It’s hard to believe that I acquired this site over 5 years ago from the founder, OliverG. My introductory post, from December 15, 2013 can still be found here: https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12653&p=88083&hilit=future#p88079

Running this site was a very big part of my life during my time in the Bay, and I will forever be grateful for the experiences I had, the people I met, and the stoke shared among the community. As some of you know, my wife and I moved back home to Seattle about a year and a half ago to pursue a new career opportunity and start a family. I now find myself in the same position as Ollie was when I acquired the site, with a plate full of work and family commitments, and a diminishing ability to serve the site and the community to the level we desire: https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12236&p=87848#p85499

As Ollie did in the same position, I am now offering the site for sale and hoping to find another enthusiastic admin to carry the torch of BAK into its next phase.

I do honestly feel there is a place for the forum. There’s no question that a lot of chatter happens on Facebook these days, but that’s exactly what it is… chatter. The forum is a resource to share genuine knowledge and passion for the sport and the amazing location of the SF Bay Area. When I moved down 7 years ago, I learned so much about 3rd Ave, kiting the coast, and Sherman from the forum. I asked meaningful questions about quiver sizing, and recovered or returned lost gear many times. Ollie started the site over 15 years ago, and there is a treasure chest of valuable information and history that continues to grow with each post. I think the ultimate future of BAK is aggregating some of the real-time posts on Facebook, pictures from Instagram, and trending twitter topics together with the more in-depth content found on the forum. But it is really up to the new owner to execute their vision for the site, and I would hate to influence that!

If you are interested in getting involved in the kite industry, having a creative outlet for graphics design, programming, event planning, or want to learn how to run a business, this is a really unique opportunity. I will happily field questions from serious individuals, just PM me with your vision for the site and any questions you have. If it seems like a good fit, we can set up a call to discuss more detailed topics like finances and managing a phpBB forum.

Thanks again to Ollie and the kite community for making this site what it is. It has been a pleasure and an honor to manage BAK, and I look forward to assisting with the transition to new ownership. SS$$

Kyle
FinalSesh.jpg
Kristen and I, June 25, 2017. Our last coastal sesh.
FinalSesh.jpg (762.34 KiB) Viewed 645 times
BayAreaKite
Site Admin
Site Admin
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: The Future of BAK Part IV: The Forum is For Sale Again

Postby Captain John » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:53 pm

Times a changing, or course. It's been good having you here watching over the site, let's hope it keeps going...

Captain John
KiteTheBay.com
Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: The Future of BAK Part IV: The Forum is For Sale Again

Postby BayAreaKite » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks to those who've reached out and expressed interest in the site. I just wanted to clear up one thing: I have no plans to shut it down. The few google Adsense ads that are present on the site nearly cover the hosting fees and SSL certificates. As many of you know, I am heavily involved in my hydrofoil side-hustle (http://www.projectcedrus.com) and I no longer have the time to manage sponsorships for this site, the income of which would be used to update the phpBB and fund other improvements I am not capable of doing myself. My motivation to sell is not financial, but in the interest of seeing the site evolve to the level I had originally planned on before I got side tracked by foiling... or more so designing foils at this point because I don't actually have time to kite anymore {}[]

Thank you! Kyle
BayAreaKite
Site Admin
Site Admin
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion