2019 season opener common sense/etiquette at Third Avenue

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
2019 season opener common sense/etiquette at Third Avenue

Post by manplesvanuatu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:17 am

Hi All,

The Thermal winds is slowly getting back to the bay area. This is a slight sign that the 2019 season is about to ramp up. With that please observe some common sense to keep this sport safe. Every year it's getting a bit of the old story to see the EMT ambulance taking people to the ER (never a fun thing i tell ya!). You all kite at different spot but I am going to give a few pointers for a spot I frequent a lot cause I know the pitfalls of that places well. So I would like you to read just a few pointers if you are not familiar with them or you are a newbie. if you are taking classes now, welcome to the sport!

1) First. Since some of you have kept the gear in the garage all winter. Now is the time to pull them out and check the equipment!! check for loose screws on the boards, binding footsteps etc. Check the harness if it does not need to be replace. Check the bar and its eject system. 4 months of inactivity and things can seize up with salt water. Put the bar under load and eject a few times to make sure everything is smooth.

2) if you consider yourself a regular. Start to get a combination of kite sizes. Don't show up to places where the wind can be strong with your "12 or 14M Alameda special" kite! You will get spanked

3) Know your self rescue. If you are having a hard time to relaunch the kite off the water, It's time to think of plan B. Wind the lines and proceed to self rescue. Drifting downwind to the bridge with the kite pulling you and the lines fulling rigged is NO option!

4) If you can't get out at the two designated each (upper or lower at third Avenue. Self rescue! And don't walk on the both path upwind with the kite in the air!! we do not want to endanger the public who uses the path to mobilize around. It's not a exclusive place to kiters only:-)

5) The beaches at third are eroded. You may feel that you do not have enough room to launch. IF you are a beginner, set up your equipment FAR from the stone wall!! Why? cause the closer you are to it well you won't have time to react when mishaps happen and you are flying towards the rock! I often see newbies do that. PLEASE STOP! Not a wise thing:)

6)Know where to stand in relative to the edge if the window when launching. If you don't, that's how accidents starts. Third avenue Kite has installed a wind sock. Use it as visual cue to know what direction the wind is blowing. Hint: It does not always blow the same direction by the way. meaning:-) You can't always set up the same angle each time.

7) Before launching, depower the kite a little with the trim rope or the "clicky clicky thing". Why do i see lots of you launch with a fully powered trim setting? It's like you are getting on the motorcycle and you want the throttle to be full power. Start soft. The kite flies better when it's a little depowered cause the rear lines are a tad slacked and the kite won't backstall. As you are on the water and feel the need for more power. You can let adjust to your liking. no brainer:)

8)When you kite, observe you surrounding and rights of way. Pay attention to others and if you see someone needing help go by to check on them. If you can't assist at least you will know if they are in trouble or not so you can call the right person to help.

9) When you want to take a break at the beach but still want to leave your kite pumped. Wind up your lines! Real estate is short at this moment. Others would like to set up their lines but won't be able to cause your unattended kite with the lines fully deployed are in the way.

10) Last one is not important but if you can do it it would great and appreciative.Every year at the beginning of the season there are lots of glass debris. Pick a few and throw them in your kite bags so you can get rid of them at home. a few taken off the beac can help reduce foot cuts:-)

well i think it's long enough and i have already bored you. Please be considerate and ENJOY THE NEW SEASON!

If you need more details on this come see me at the beach and i can spend time explaining it to you

paul

manplesvanuatu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: 2019 season opener common sense/etiquette at Third Avenu

Post by manplesvanuatu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 pm

addendum:

11) sometime the ground at the upper launch can be muddy and slippery. Find a position of launching were you stand on form ground. If not prepared to go on a sled ride and that could mean direction to the rock wall!

12) If you are unsure of things. walk around and ask. We are friendly. (except for a few:-) we will gladly answer your questions and assist you if you need help. Not asking then to regret is always silly.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Re: 2019 season opener common sense/etiquette at Third Avenu

Post by shred_da_gorge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Please heed the advice of this veteran! Launch with depowered trim and fully luffed kite, flying it from your launcher's hands. Walk, don't run or jump to the water where your board is waiting, away from the rocks.

Paul my old friend, I'm back in South Padre where the wind is much better this week than that fall we all got skunked (except those girls who barely weighed 8 stone wet). May try to hit third before heading to Hood River, but remember you still always have an open invite in da gorge!

Great to see you, if only online - have a great season! -Pete