Off to a bad start already

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Off to a bad start already

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Man it was good to see familiar faces yesterday at Crown Beach. That wind was epic. Hope you all had fun.

But I have to say that was already the worst kook-day ever already. I counted at least 3 people walking their kite up onto the beach and tried to land their kite across the path.

Then several launching their kites while they were under the trees upwind of the building.

Saw 2 kites go into the streets.

I was pumping up my kite in the dedicated area when I realized there were two kites sandwiching me and their riders attaching their lines. I felt strange because I felt like I was in there way but actually, I wasn't. I was where I was suppose to be, in the parking lot. They were rigging up in the wrong area.

Everyone fucking snoozing and ignoring kites that were overhead that needed to be caught and landed. On a gusty windy day like yesterday its important to get those kites caught quickly and safely.

Those making these mistakes were not familiar faces.

And this was before I got there, I heard about more kitemares from those who were there earlier.

Should we just paint the whole shack into a map to make it BIGGER for the idiots?

It was a shitshow there you guys and its not even March. I couldn't even park in the main lot, and it wasn't because friends and families were all at the beach hanging out on a WINDY COLD day. This sport is growing at a very scary rate.

You all here already know the rules and were most likely not in the collection of culprits from yesterday.

BUT IT IS UP TO US to continue to set the standard and ensure the rest of our season goes incident free. Please speak up to your fellow kiters (preferably in a baby tone, we're sensitive) and pass on safety etiquette, etc etc.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Off to a bad start already

Post by NorCalNomad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm

Amen, except for the baby tone. It can't be heard over the wind.

Also if you are new to a spot and not abiding by the rules then you deserve to get yelled at, regardless of the area. Because; you didn't take the time to find out the site specific rules or don't care, you doing something against the rule could endanger you and others, you doing something against the rules could jeopardize access for everyone, you doing something against the rules makes people angry/ anxious which kills the vibe.

Sure if someone is pumping up on a busy day in the launch zone I'll kindly let them know the etiquette, but you trying to launch or land your kite across the path.... JQI*
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 am

+*!@
What a f",%# ing mess

The time for baby talk is over,
If you see something.....say something!
I'd rather kill the vibe ,than have another fatality .

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 am

BE HELPFUL TO OTHERS AND ASSERTIVE TO KEEP KITEBOARDING FREE & AT WILL. Jump to help kiteboarders. If you see someone doing something reckless, grab your friends & go talk with him. We are all in this sport together so pitch in & be ready to help to keep riders safe and to work to preserve access. Remember - if people are reckless and you say nothing, complaints will come and the sport will be shut down by authorities. So be HELPFUL and ASSERTIVE

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am

It would also be helpful if establish season Kiter's set a very good example ,following the guidelines
And not Breaking them !

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am

I'm all for yelling, I just usually get yelled at for yelling.

But youre right Charlie, so what if we're assholes/bitches, we're saving their life if not others as well. Lo)% Lo)%

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 am

Dude thank you for bring it up
And ya we don't have to yell we just need to talk
I ended up driving back home after I looked at the zoo
Shell gate didn't look any better

Jeff I often wonder if some of the yahoos that terrorize Alameda show up at Chrissy and need Coast Guard rescue ?

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm

On very crowded days, I think it is a bad idea to have kites land in the same area where people are trying to launch. This slows down the process of getting people off the beach, and creates disorder in the launch area.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
I have observed who has the most efficient use of the launch zone space, it is Sumner. He only spends a couple of minutes in the actual launch zone. He has EVERYTHING is ready to go before he steps into the launch zone, he has his kite rigged w the lines rolled up. All he does in the launch zone is unroll the lines and launch.
Last edited by dz on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Off to a bad start myself as I have a bad cut on my left heel while landscaping my backyard last week. Can't put my full weight on it as its painful, got to let my heel heal.

Too bad I will not be able to help or yell at people who ends up downwind of the shack.

Did people forget we already have somebody die at the beach?

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 pm

+1 for Separating luanching and landing