Alameda daily go/no go

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
le noun
Old School
Old School
Re: Alameda daily go/no go

Post by le noun » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:10 am

Alameda was sooooo much fun. But I knew the shack and shell gate were going to be a zoo. I rigged up around coral reef/sunset road and had a blast.
Not every day that I get to depower my 8m all the way in Alameda. Thought I was at the coast for a second, without the waves...
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 am

If you are really on to nailing down the unpredictable nature of Alameda winds, you can invest and spend time, start blogging your own onsite report on ikitesurf whenever you are there, especially when the wind conditions do not match the current conditions.

Yesterday was definitely spring like conditions, was overpowered at times on my 5 meter. I was disappointed for not bringing my home made 3 meter kite, would have been an interesting session with a 3 meter and a foilboard.

I believe (and predict) that yesterday was the official end of Alameda's windy season, welcome back the peanut gallery.
alexglebov wrote:I think this topic might be useful to advanced beginner kiters who are learning in Alameda. There are a lot of kiteboarders who just past the water starts, but not going up wind yet who can use advice from our seasoned experts on the daily wind conditions at Alameda. For example last Monday was a challenging day with on shore and gusty wind which was kite-able, but challenging for people trying to learn staying up wind. I would personally have greatly appreciated an advice on that day from the expert and stayed home. Yes, I checked Boardsports website, camera feed, Facebook, Windfinder, iKitesurf and I have pro subscription with pro forecasts. Today looks good on Windfinder site and iKitesurf pro forecast 17-21 mph and 15-19 kts, but on iKitesurf app it is 11-21mph. I have a full quiver of kites, so no problem here. It would be so helpful to get a go/no-go advice on a daily basis for Alameda.

Cj_
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cj_ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:16 pm

no, not over yet,
well at least yesterday was pretty good
i dont know why, but it was good after 4pm, strongish... for late june.
got done about 8, and wind was it still going
woot-woot

LukeMilner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LukeMilner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Nothing on iKitesurf gave any indication that yesterday would be a good day at Alameda. That's frustrating.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:42 pm

LukeMilner wrote:Nothing on iKitesurf gave any indication that yesterday would be a good day at Alameda. That's frustrating.
Yup that's Alameda. Plenty of days where it shows it should be windy and it isn't as well. Stoked I was able to capitalize on it since I had written off the entire week.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Cj_
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cj_ » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm

LukeMilner wrote:Nothing on iKitesurf gave any indication that yesterday would be a good day at Alameda. That's frustrating.

Nothing, except then sensors ramping to 20 at 3:30-4 and blowing till dark.

its been said before..dont take ikite, or any forecast as gospel....

doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the sensors..

" If its blows....GO "
Attachments
IMG_0117.GIF
IMG_0117.GIF (22.56KiB)Viewed 11744 times

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:20 pm

'don't put all your eggs in one basket'

Make sure to use multiple webcams and sensors if available when checking for wind. iKitesurf is notoriously off for Alameda. So godbless BC for putting up their webcam and onsite wind meter

https://boardsportscalifornia.com/weather1/webcam/

I got lucky and caught Tuesday's wind. If I had only looked at iKitesurf, I wouldve definitely missed it.

When you're checking webcam, make sure to check out the surface of the water, look far out in the background, look for incoming wind lines, etc.

LukeMilner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LukeMilner » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:35 pm

"Would be." Get it? Maybe if you live over there you just go when the wind blows. If you're a couple of hours away in traffic on a weekday, maybe you want an expert to say he thinks it will probably still be blowing when you get there. But I'll look into these "sensors" you're telling me about. Sounds interesting.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:28 pm

LukeMilner wrote:"Would be." Get it? Maybe if you live over there you just go when the wind blows. If you're a couple of hours away in traffic on a weekday, maybe you want an expert to say he thinks it will probably still be blowing when you get there. But I'll look into these "sensors" you're telling me about. Sounds interesting.
I'm sorry but this sounds like a whiny first world response.

Wind and near shore modeling of it is SUPER COMPLEX. The iKite people do a damn good job at making hypothesis (which remember are educated guesses based on past data). But when you have conditions that are out of the norm inside of a super complex system, like excessive heat inside of the Bay, weird stuff happens.

Some even say the unpredictability of the wind is something they like. But like it or not when you have a sport that is dependent on a complicated system, that isn't constant, that is the reality you have to live with. I know it sucks sometimes.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

LukeMilner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LukeMilner » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm sure if you read the highlighted text again you'd agree with it. I don't know what that says about you, but obviously it's not good.