Mounting a Foil on an old Twin Tip

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
reyrivera
Old School
Old School
Mounting a Foil on an old Twin Tip

Post by reyrivera » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:56 pm

So, I finally went over to the dark side and purchased a Liquid Force Foil and a 5.0 fish for learning, wife's gift for my birthday.

The setup arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, there is a 1.5 inch gouge on the rail that you can pick with your fingernail. I called a few repair shops and it will take longer to repair compared to having it replaced. The store I bought it from will ship a replacement, hopefully will not break during shipment the second time around.

Meanwhile, I have a foil with no board. I do have an old 135 twin tip (BOA brand, circa 2005).

I'm thinking I can remove all the hardware, glue in some rubber pads, put some surf foot straps, drill holes, and then attach the LF foil on it.

Anybody here tried this? I have zero hours experience with foiling.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: Mounting a Foil on an old Twin Tip

Post by Kyle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:11 pm

I will fix your foil fish. A little sanding and epoxy filler and you're good to go. I did the same to mine after it was also damaged during shipment.

Even the longer curing epoxy is faster than drilling a TT or shipping a new board... which repair shops are you talking to?

I wouldn't waste time trying to learn with a TT mounted foil. Although depending on where you live in the bay, it may be longer to drive the board to me than drill a TT:) Maybe post a pic so I can confirm my ability to repair before committing.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Oh that's right, I remember you posting you do professional board repairs. I will keep that in mind next time I have a big board repair job.

I'm a creature of habit when I get my board repairs. I bring them to my contacts in Santa Cruz. They usually have minimum two week lead times. I need to start looking for board repair pros here in the East Bay, I live in Concord.

I do my own board repairs as well, and do a good job sealing my repairs. I'm just not very good when it comes to glossy finish. I guess with this one I can just spray paint the finish. But that is a moot point now as I got the return process started.

Meanwhile, my buddy Jay, rides on 3rd Ave, was nice enough to lend me his board while I wait for my new toy.
Last edited by reyrivera on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Here is an idea on what I want to do, attach a twin tip on a foil. Mockup picture below.

Board is an old BOA, maybe attach the foil about 10 inch from the tail? Or maybe match it on how its installed on the LF fish?

Recommendations from experienced fellow foilers?
Attachments
FoilOnTwinTip.1.png
FoilOnTwinTip.1.png (1.49MiB)Viewed 12888 times

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:07 pm

My primary concern with mounting a LF foil to a TT is it's a heavy setup, and that might make it sink or be difficult to see/maneuver in the water. so make sure the board has enough buoyancy to float everything. Seal the ends of the mast so that water doesn't ingress. It's an awesome foil for learning no doubt, but I don't think a TT is going to make it any easier for you. good luck!

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:47 pm

CR:X seems to have got it to work:
http://www.neilpryde.com/crx/board.html
But I'd agree that you want to make sure the TT has enough displacement to float the foil. You also want to make sure you get the front and rear foot straps in exactly the right place relative to the foil. Getting it too far out of position will make it unrideable, and if you're new to foiling you won't know if it's you or the setup :) Try and work out from the LF board what those points are, then have someone who can foil ride it to test?

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Will build it and see if I can get Ino to test it for me.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 am

I do not recommend this, you will have hard enough time learning on a good floaty board. You will struggle much longer trying to learn on a twintip mounted foil. You might enjoy wake skate board once you become proficient at foiling but twintip just isn't great.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 pm

So, I went ahead and modified the twin tip, added padding and attached it to the foil.

I was able to take it out today for an exploratory ride. Initially without the kite, I was abke to swim with it effortless and it floats. Waited for the wind to die down and tried with a kite just for giggles. I was riding an 11 meter Fuel, so a bit ambitious for my level.

I think I am going to take the straps off and ride it strapless once I am consistently riding.

Definitely promising and not a total waste of time, at least in my current experience with foiling.

Will post future progress.
IMG_3345.png
IMG_3345.png (1.33MiB)Viewed 12709 times
IMG_3346.png
IMG_3346.png (1.34MiB)Viewed 12709 times
IMG_3347.png
IMG_3347.png (1.09MiB)Viewed 12709 times
IMG_3348.png
IMG_3348.png (1018.37KiB)Viewed 12709 times
IMG_3349.png
IMG_3349.png (1.15MiB)Viewed 12709 times

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Hey ray
Why don't you just post when you bolt it to the rockit fish board it came with?
Its your best chance to up and riding
Just like sonny Said