Kite / Volleyball / Horses

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
AlternateAspect
Joey
Joey
Kite / Volleyball / Horses

Post by AlternateAspect » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Hello CA!
I'm considering a move from my current sweltering perch in the Virgin Islands to beautiful Monteray. Was looking for some insight and some straightforward opinions. I am a self-sufficient kiter, an avid equestrian, and I also love some competetive beach doubles volleyball. Will also need to take work into consideration - I am a very experienced bartender in various atmospheres. Where should I drop my pin to settle down? Definitely want to be within local of foxhunts, horse shows, and solid kiting.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice that you'll throw me!

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: Kite / Volleyball / Horses

Post by Kyle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 am

The three things you are looking for are all quite different. You may be able to find volleyball and bartending jobs closer to the city, but kiting Ocean Beach and Crissy Field require advanced skills. The horse scene is quite big further south in the Woodside and Los Altos Hills areas, where the median home price is probably in the $4M range. Good kiting access to the bay (3rd Ave) and more friendly coastal spots like Waddell. I don't think you will find fox hunting anywhere around here, better look east to Virginia for that.

If you're really into the horse thing, I would look for jobs in that industry that provide housing. Seems like there are a lot of wealthy people around here who need help taking care of their grounds and animals, and have mother-in-law cottages for their staff. Build your network, and go from there.

RhondaReyna
Joey
Joey

Post by RhondaReyna » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 pm

There is Riding to Hounds in California if you have a trailer and don't mind long drives. The horse industry here in the Bay Area is very expensive and gives a lot of newcomers sticker shock. Board and training can easily run $2,000 a month. I was in the horse world for many years competing in Eventing/Showjumping/Dressage/Hunter Paces and teaching riding to hounds/Ponyclub and ran one of the big barns in the Bay Area. I am happy to answer questions in detail if you'd like to connect.

Bay Area Equestrian (BayEquest) is a local website that is very useful.

Cheers!

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:42 am

Your talents are perfectly suited for Santa Barbara.
Tunces - The driving cat!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:12 pm

AlternateAspect wrote:Hello CA!
I'm considering a move from my current sweltering perch in the Virgin Islands to beautiful Monteray. Was looking for some insight and some straightforward opinions. I am a self-sufficient kiter, an avid equestrian, and I also love some competetive beach doubles volleyball. Will also need to take work into consideration - I am a very experienced bartender in various atmospheres. Where should I drop my pin to settle down? Definitely want to be within local of foxhunts, horse shows, and solid kiting.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice that you'll throw me!
San Louis Reservoir/O'Neill Forebay area may be an attraction if you move to or near Monterey. Kiting, fox hunting, and plenty of horses all to be found around there.
https://www.hipcamp.com/california/san-luis-reservoir
http://legallabrador.org/california-gra ... g-seasons/

North of Santa Cruz there's Waddell that provides some epic wave kiting. Unfortunately Monterey is only good for volleyball and bartending. I'm sure there's a horse or two around there as well. ;)
Be prepared for the cold and fog! Especial during the summer months.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:19 pm

John Doe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by John Doe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:04 am

Bro. You crazy. I don't care how hot it is there. I live-kite-work not far from Monterey. And guess what many tourists say when they get here??? "It's freezing". They come out in their shorts & t-shirts in May or June expecting beach weather to find that the water is 48-54F, and the air comes right off the water. Guess what that makes the air temp? It's right around there, also known as, FREEZING. I wear fleece shirts well into June.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, however I've spent a good chunk of the last 5 winters on a tropical island. Coming home this year was particularly bad weatherwise. But guess what, it's freaking freezing here normaly anyhow. A hooded 4 mil wetsuit with 5 mil booties is mandatory. I know people will say, "oh...I wear a 3-2, or 3 mil with no hood..." but that is B.S.

It sucks going from crystal clear water & kiting in boardshorts (hell living in boardshorts) to having to shiver while you struggle into a thick-arse wetsuit. Again, not trying to be discouraging, just wouldn't dream of going from a tropical island to freezing arse Nor Cal.

You need proof? Look at the water temp on the Monterey Buoy, check it in May, June, etc.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46042

BertieKerter1
Joey
Joey

Post by BertieKerter1 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Sounds great, return man 3 hacked I am pretty sure that you can make it.
Last edited by BertieKerter1 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Wed May 24, 2017 3:47 pm

There's a few horse places up in the North Bay, but your kiting locations get a little limited.

And its not any cheaper than the Los Altos area that BayAreaKite mentioned.