No little baja for awhile

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sloughslut
Resident
Resident
No little baja for awhile

Post by sloughslut » Tue May 03, 2016 8:21 pm

IMG_0483.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG (1.46MiB)Viewed 6494 times
sorry my pic editing sucks if you click on left corner shows whole map
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: No little baja for awhile

Post by le noun » Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 pm

what are they doing? redoing the road?
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue May 03, 2016 10:32 pm

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed May 04, 2016 7:26 am

oh crap, that was 2 years ago, completely forgot about this! {}[]
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Wed May 04, 2016 9:12 am

SHIT.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 pm

The place that says parking has steep levee on 2 sides so unless your gonna 4x4 up or down the levee(probably not supposed to drive on) not much parking, used to launch kites there but if people park there no way. oh well, party at the county park everybody's invited "?%#
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Thu May 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Little Baja is gone already, there is floating crane parked right there.
Worker said the plan is to finish by December 2017.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Thu May 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Can somebody who is a proponent of this project explain why this is a good idea?

Seems to me that there has been little if anything done to mitigate the loss of little Baja as a bozo beach when the wind drops. I know I have used it as a safety valve on numerous occasions. If somebody gets hurt on the levee because of the removal of the egress downwind of a known kiting/sailing area, do they (or their heirs) have recourse against the state?

seems like a poor choice of location at our expense, but maybe I'm just poorly informed about the benefits to the general good created by it.

Until then I'm stuck on the idea that it may be the dumbest public project I've ever seen.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri May 13, 2016 10:38 am

friggin old guy wrote:If somebody gets hurt on the levee because of the removal of the egress downwind of a known kiting/sailing area, do they (or their heirs) have recourse against the state?
According to DWR, the Little Baja launch area is technically not authorized for this use, so the man-made egress on the levy is in violation. If you end up here, you're solely responsible for what happens!

DWR Response: The current use of the levee by windsurfers and kiteboarders as launch sites constitutes an unauthorized encroachment on a flood control project levee. Any future modifications for use of the launch sites will require authorization from RD 341, the issuance of an encroachment permit from the CVFPB and concurrent approval from the USACE.
Sherman Island “Little Baja and Manzo Ranch” Fish Release Sites California Department of Water Resources
2-2
Because the launch sites are unauthorized encroachments, the project will have no impact on existing, legal recreational access to the river. The project will not prevent access to or parking at the adjacent County Park facility, and as stated in Section 3.14 of the IS/MND there will be no impact to other public facilities in the project area as a result of the construction or operation of the fish release site. Therefore the project will not result in a significant physical impact to existing recreational facilities in the project area.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri May 13, 2016 10:44 am

friggin old guy wrote:seems like a poor choice of location at our expense, but maybe I'm just poorly informed about the benefits to the general good created by it.
Here's why this area was chosen:

DWR Response: Development of new fish releases sites is a requirement of the 2009 National Marine Fisheries Service Biological Opinion for operation of the State Water Project and Federal Central Valley Project. In a 2010 Release Site Predation Study, DWR in collaboration with CDFW and the U.S Bureau of Reclamation, evaluated the predation impacts at existing fish salvage release sites in the Delta. Using the results of this study, a series of site criteria including distance from existing release sites, water depth, water flow, levee conditions, habitat, fish life history, and distance from federal and state fish salvage facilities, specific site design criteria were established to determine the suitable locations for new fish release sites. In addition to these site criteria, consideration was given to transportation and traffic, existing state or federally owned property parcels, and safety of operation. In consultation with the state and federal fisheries agencies, the Little Baja and Manzo Ranch locations were determined to be the most suitable locations for construction of new fish release sites.