Kite buddy wanted!

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
stefan.sedich
Joey
Joey
Kite buddy wanted!

Post by stefan.sedich » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:11 am

Hello!

My name is Stefan and have recently moved to SF from Australia 6 odd months ago and ever since have been itching to hit the water again.

Have been kitesurfing for probably 4 years now and back home was spoilt to be living 300 feet from my local spot where I had easy access to it every day during summer when the wind was blowing.

I am currently living in Mission Bay and sadly realized I should have picked somewhere like the Marina so I had easy access to Chrissy Fields, so my current option is to cycle there which could have some health benefits at least :).

I am looking to get myself setup with a new quiver soon (stupidly sold my stuff before moving out here), and then hopefully getting back on the water, looking for someone to share any advice of Chrissy Fields and if in fact that is the closest spot to where I am located (so much water close to me but as far as I know none of it is kiteable).

Thanks

Ksheridan420
Joey
Joey

Re: Kite buddy wanted!

Post by Ksheridan420 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:33 am

In Mission bay, you are close to 3rd street launch (candlestick park). Still not walking distance though. But there is the T-line available. I learned last summer in oyster point and am not sure of the exact location of the launch spot, so maybe someone out there could help further with the specific details. I would be super down to venture there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:53 am

stefan.sedich wrote:I am looking to get myself setup with a new quiver soon (stupidly sold my stuff before moving out here), and then hopefully getting back on the water, looking for someone to share any advice of Chrissy Fields and if in fact that is the closest spot to where I am located (so much water close to me but as far as I know none of it is kiteable).
Welcome to SF!
Read these links first:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... lit=crissy

After 11 years of kiting, Crissy is by far the sketchiest place I've ever kited. I've never been so tense while on the water. It's known as one of the most dangerous places to kite in the world for a reason.
Be safe and enjoy!

stefan.sedich
Joey
Joey

Post by stefan.sedich » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:08 am

Yoda wrote:
stefan.sedich wrote:I am looking to get myself setup with a new quiver soon (stupidly sold my stuff before moving out here), and then hopefully getting back on the water, looking for someone to share any advice of Chrissy Fields and if in fact that is the closest spot to where I am located (so much water close to me but as far as I know none of it is kiteable).
Welcome to SF!
Read these links first:

After 11 years of kiting, Crissy is by far the sketchiest place I've ever kited. I've never been so tense while on the water. It's known as one of the most dangerous places to kite in the world for a reason.
Be safe and enjoy!
Thanks, have read over it and it definitely makes me nervous, have kited in many different spots and some pretty sketchy but it does not sound like a spot I would overly enjoy with the riding I like to do.

Thanks

stefan.sedich
Joey
Joey

Post by stefan.sedich » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:08 am

Ksheridan420 wrote:In Mission bay, you are close to 3rd street launch (candlestick park). Still not walking distance though. But there is the T-line available. I learned last summer in oyster point and am not sure of the exact location of the launch spot, so maybe someone out there could help further with the specific details. I would be super down to venture there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah cool, I did not know that it was kiteable down there I thought it was only windsurfing due to wind directions, will have a look into it.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:18 am

Have you looked into any of the "sharing economy" services for short term car rentals? Zipcar, getaround, etc? (Might be difficult with a foreign drivers license if you haven't sorted that out already)

stefan.sedich
Joey
Joey

Post by stefan.sedich » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:40 am

jjm wrote:Have you looked into any of the "sharing economy" services for short term car rentals? Zipcar, getaround, etc? (Might be difficult with a foreign drivers license if you haven't sorted that out already)
Yeah have been lazy and not transfered my license over and I guess zip could get costly, I do like the idea of buying on of the used SFMTA interceptors, that could be the ideal kite car!

stefan.sedich
Joey
Joey

Post by stefan.sedich » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:23 pm

What are everyones thoughts on Ocean Beach?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:54 pm

stefan.sedich wrote:What are everyones thoughts on Ocean Beach?
First read this:
http://ob-kc.com/ksguide.html

The kite spots that are closest to SF are some of the gnarliest spots in the area. OB can offer up heavy waves, strong currents, and major riptides. Not for the tame of heart. You can even get blown onto the Great Hwy if not careful:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/B ... 486048.php
OB can be epic when the conditions are right, but many have had their asses handed to them there.
Once again, be safe and enjoy!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm assuming you've checked the Kite Beaches link on this page, but just in case you haven't, I believe the closest and best kite spots near SF for an intermediate+ level rider are Coyote Point and then 3rd Ave. Right over the Bay Bridge is Royce/Toll Plaza beach. Just south of Royce is Crown Beach/Alameda. That's about it.