Where can i buy used 12-14 kite for Alameda, beginner

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
ArtyomTrityak
Joey
Joey
Where can i buy used 12-14 kite for Alameda, beginner

Post by ArtyomTrityak » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:11 am

Hi folks,

I used to kite last summer with instructor and now moved to California.
My weight is 165lb and i am going to practice in Alameda. So i think for this/next season i need 12-14m kite.

I think i will stay Alameda for season or two so i need used kite for practice. Any advice where can i find it in okay condition?

Thanks,
Artyom

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: Where can i buy used 12-14 kite for Alameda, beginner

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:23 am

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtop ... 849ef4bb17

This years Crissy Field Swap Meet will be held on Saturday, April 30 starting at 9am and going till it blows.

Bring it all. Windsurfing, Kitesurfing, Standup Paddling, Surfing, Streetsailing etc. All are welcome.

Join https://www.facebook.com/CrissyFieldYachtClub for more information and updates.

Sail On!

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:33 am

There are also a number of kites and boards for sale in the classifieds section of this forum, accessible from the top banner.

ArtyomTrityak
Joey
Joey

Post by ArtyomTrityak » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks for your answers, when season starts in Alameda? I don't have kite friends so interested in period when someone will be able to help my launch kite

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:17 am

A member of the community built this site a little while ago - it's pretty slick! It aggregates several sites to generate kite listings.

https://www.getakite.us

ArtyomTrityak
Joey
Joey

Post by ArtyomTrityak » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Also i din't figure out about kite size for Alameda. I read lot of topics and currently picking 12 vs 14 kite size (165 lb). It looks like 14m is more okay but someone even says 17m...

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:24 am

At 165lbs, you'd be fine with a 12m. Don't bother with a 17m.
At 195lbs, I'm using a 14m as my light wind kite. 11m being my every day kite for most of the spots in the bay.
Season in Alameda is basically during spring time (from now until late June) then it gets REALLY light, which is when (if your skills are good enough) you'll be relocating to third ave (san Mateo) and will probably need a 9m by then.
There is a section in this forum that talks about all the locations in the bay area, you should give it a read.
Like mentioned above, the classified section in this forum is a good place to start if you're looking for used kites. So are the schools/shops in the bay area (since you're mentioning Alameda, you should give a call to Jane and Rebecca at Boardsports: they are located ON crown beach. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you getting started with the right gear for Alameda and they'll give you the way of the land as well).
Good luck!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

ArtyomTrityak
Joey
Joey

Post by ArtyomTrityak » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Thank you for advice, will call them

ArtyomTrityak
Joey
Joey

Post by ArtyomTrityak » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:10 pm

Another question - i don't like cold water so decided to get some wetsuits gear (i already have wetsuit): gloves and boots. So i need advice - 3 or 5mm boots/groves for Alameda, 3d avenue etc?
Also found some NeoSport stuff in amazon, is it okay? If not, any advice on brand?

seashell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seashell » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:29 am

ArtyomTrityak wrote:Another question - i don't like cold water so decided to get some wetsuits gear (i already have wetsuit): gloves and boots. So i need advice - 3 or 5mm boots/groves for Alameda, 3d avenue etc?
When I got my boots, the guy at the shop thought I should go with the 3mm, and that has been fine for spring/summer at Alameda.