Group Notice: Need kite friends!

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
Ksheridan420
Joey
Joey
Group Notice: Need kite friends!

Post by Ksheridan420 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:20 am

Hey all, I learned to kite last summer and now I have all the gear but do not really know where to go out and am not comfortable going alone. I also only drive a scooter, so transporting all my stuff is kind of sketchy. I would love to meet some people to go to kite spots with, I live by the Cow Palace, bayshore area. I just need to get out there, and I see our wind is starting to pick up!

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Group Notice: Need kite friends!

Post by le noun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:31 am

Wait a couple more month. Season typically starts early April. You'll probably be able to get a ride to Alameda which will be your first destination as a beginner in the spring. Then graduate to third avenue (closer to where you live) over the summer when the wind is getting too light in Alameda.
I use to take bart and the bus from the mission all the way to Alameda with 1 kite and board and the rest of my gear when I first started. Then started renting zipcar which was a lot more practical!
Good luck!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Ksheridan420
Joey
Joey

Post by Ksheridan420 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely being patient with waiting for the season to start and the right conditions. I also heard Sherman island was a good spot for beginners, also (assuming I rent a car)

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Ksheridan420 wrote:I also heard Sherman island was a good spot for beginners, also (assuming I rent a car)
Sherman Isle is NOT a beginner spot. However Sherman does provide beginners with one of the best ways to accelerate their learning curve... Assisted Downwinders.
Edge Kiteboarding and NautiCat both offer this service...
http://www.edgekiteboarding.com/#about
http://nauticatcharters.com/?page_id=14

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 am

Yoda wrote:
Ksheridan420 wrote:I also heard Sherman island was a good spot for beginners, also (assuming I rent a car)
Sherman Isle is NOT a beginner spot. However Sherman does provide beginners with one of the best ways to accelerate their learning curve... Assisted Downwinders.
Edge Kiteboarding and NautiCat both offer this service...
http://www.edgekiteboarding.com/#about
http://nauticatcharters.com/?page_id=14
Agree with Yoda: Sherman IS NOT a beginner spot.
Launching and landing can be tough as you are behind some high bushes creating a wind shadow and have no buffer zone if you mess up. Then a little walk with kite in the air through those bushes to access the water. And when finally you make it to the water, there is only one option: upwind right away!

Once you can ride upwind 100% of the time, then Sherman is just awesome, but not as a pure beginner.

Yoda is right though: they have assisted downwinder which are a cheap and fast way to learn how to get upwind once you already know how to get on your board.

Ksheridan420
Joey
Joey

Post by Ksheridan420 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys! I definitely need to get stronger at riding upwind, i am comfortable with walking the kite and getting on the board, but you know, there is a lot of falling involved :). I will stick to alameda when the season starts, so keep me in mind and give me a holler if u notice a good day there

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:04 pm

le noun wrote: I use to take bart and the bus from the mission all the way to Alameda with 1 kite and board and the rest of my gear when I first started
Damn how long did that take?
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:38 pm

About an hour. Lol.

javidellie777
Joey
Joey

Post by javidellie777 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi there Ksheridan420! I'm also new to kiting and can for the most part ride downwind and need more practice edging and riding upwind. Going to go to Alameda any chance I get. Would be more than happy to meet up and give you a ride (and a launch) - as I am also not super comfortable going alone.

Here is my email address jellie999@yahoo.com!

peterhorn
Joey
Joey

Post by peterhorn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Hey all,

I'm in a similar spot as the original poster. Have taken about 10 hours of lessons, have bought my first set of gear, but not comfortable enough to just go launch by myself. Is anyone in a similar position? Or even better, a little more knowledgeable than I am, but willing to help a first-timer get started? I'll buy you a beer...!!!

Thanks,

Peter