Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto: meeting Saturday

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto: meeting Saturday

Post by kitewing » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Same here, happy and eager to lend support!
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Driving through EPA is dangerous enough let alone kiting it

I'm in

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitewing » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 pm

lol true - well hopefully with this park revitalization project, and with Facebook moving their new HQ close by things may begin change in EPA? Probably dangerously optimistic thinking...

Anyhow... I emailed the previous contact on this thread but the email bounced, so I sent one over the weekend to Shannon Alford ( salford[at]cityofepa[dot]org ) who was listed as the new project manager. No response thus far...

Any potential spots near the Dumbarton Bridge?
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:31 pm

As others were interested in the topic as well here where we sand. I just got an email back from Shannon,
Hi Georg,

The Cooley Landing Phase 1 project (under construction right now), includes remediation of the site (engineered cap placement) and construction of a trail loop (this is the only phase of the project that I'm under Contract with the City to manage). We aren't constructing family water access points as part of the Phase 1 project; however, future project phases will construct a viewing pier (that may accommodate fishing) and potentially family water access points. The Cooley Landing Initial Study (December 2010) evaluated environmental impacts (pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act) for the project and indicated that the project will provide low-impact recreational uses "that could include fishing, kayaking, and canoeing." Kite/wind surfing weren't called out specifically, but I would assume that they fall into the same recreational use category as kayaking/canoeing. The good news is that these activities are not prohibited via the Initial Study's findings, but any future Cooley Landing recreational uses will have to be approved by both the City of East Palo Alto and the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (MROSD) since they both own portions of the Cooley Landing property.

Future Cooley Landing construction phases beyond Phase 1 aren't currently funded (although we are actively pursuing grant $$ opportunities). Since my Contract with the City will end when I complete the Phase 1 project, the City will designate another individual to spearhead Cooley Landing project work going forward (they've just been focused on getting the Phase 1 site cleanup work completed in 2012 - environmental cleanup is my area of expertise). I think the best thing for me to do is to make sure that I provide you with the name of the next Cooley Landing point-person before my contract ends (likely in the Summer of this year), so that you'll be able to attend future planning meetings, etc. and ensure that your voice is heard. Also, in the event that the City holds any planning meetings on those future phases in the near-term, I'll be sure to contact you (my bi-monthly community meetings focus on reporting Phase 1 progress). And lastly, I'll "flag" your email for follow-up in the future.

So my read is that as soon as they open up the gate and the streets are sorted out we wills tart kiting there, so they have an active use base for the upcoming phases 2 - 25 ...

I keep U posted on the info I get. G

RPskater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RPskater » Mon May 12, 2014 6:11 pm

I was active in trying to rase awareness of the potential kiting use of Cooley Landing about 4 yrs ago, but then I changed jobs and was nowhere near the place. I just heard from a guy that people now kite it on high tide. Has anyone done that? I heard they finally put $5 million into cleaning up the property. I would love to kite it just to experience the benefit of efforts past. Any photos?

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Sounds epic! I'll check it out next time its high tide and windy.

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Tue May 13, 2014 5:04 pm

TomAUSTRIA wrote:Sounds epic! I'll check it out next time its high tide and windy.

Let me know how it goes.

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed May 14, 2014 8:39 am

Txs Knyfe
for those pursueing, I think the FAA restricts "baloons,etc." within 5 miles of an airport. Thoose pursiung should be aware of existing regulations and be aware that any oppoosiion may surface this issue. Of course, waivers can be obained like in Maui. Good luck
steve

hhstreet
Joey
Joey

Post by hhstreet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Has any one in the past/ does anyone currently kite Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto, or the area north of the Dumbarton bridge?

Thank you,
Hilary

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 am

Any updates on the legality of kiting there?