Has anyone tried Kitewing??

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Hana
Regular
Regular
Has anyone tried Kitewing??

Post by Hana » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm

I'm just curious if anyone has seen kitewing or experienced this sport.
It's supposed to be a hybrid of windsurfing and hang glider. I've been away from snow but I thought this might be worth a try. Any info appreciated!

More info:
http://www.skywings.fi/kitewings.php

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:35 pm

It looks a little akward compared to snowkiting, but I guess you don't have to worry about trees and stuff, or lines in general. Some of the people on inline skates were getting some serious air on the pavement, too.

Maybe they'll come to Tahoe this winter and do a demo like the Ozone folks did last year.

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:07 pm

Just watched the video. That's Nucking Futts!!! Looks like it could be fun though becuase the wind on ski slopes is pretty intense but the wing looks awkward. I would install a hooked in line on it.

Just what I need is another sport by the way!!

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:38 pm

we used to see them here in the bay for windsurfing in the 80s
never cought on but i did see some high jumps on film once.
charlie

?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:39 pm

maybe its just me but it seems kind of restrictive because of the way its designed, and in the videos you never see and tricks so for $1000 why would anyone do that when they could be kiting?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ?

Post by jjm » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:31 pm

Guest wrote:maybe its just me but it seems kind of restrictive because of the way its designed, and in the videos you never see and tricks so for $1000 why would anyone do that when they could be kiting?
Space considerations, safety?

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:36 am

Yeah, it would give you a little more flexibility on the slopes -- not having to worry about trees and all. Maybe on the water it would open up all those windy but tree-lined lakes and rivers that are currently verboten for kites.

It does look like you'd get a neckache after about 1/2 hour of riding...

Froggy

Got one

Post by Froggy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:50 am

I've got a kitewing. Not used on the snow or water, but on land with mountainboard or dirtsurfer, its great.

Far more controllable than a kite as you dont have to put it into the "window" for power. More like windsurfing. I was using it yesterday on a beach reached 34mph with a dirtsurferm, and some really ace 4 wheel powerslides with the mountainboard.

You do need decent wind though. Any less than 12mph forget it, use a kite, as the wind gets up and the buggys are using 1.5M kites, I can still blast about with the wing.

You're also right about space. No need to worry about lines, plus you can easily stop and put it down to chat with your mates. (Not so easy with kites/lines).

got some pix here if you're interested; http://www.treefrog.co.uk/igallery