Confused about water quality?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Kobari
Joey
Joey

Post by Kobari » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about getting kiteboarding lessons and very enthusiastic about it, but really worried about water quality in the bay area.Whenever I look at the water here (Candlestick point, san mateo, berkeley, etc.), it looks really dirty visually. Also, bacteria / contamination reports are pretty bad as well.

AFAIK, when you start learning kite/wind surfing, you fall in the water a lot, and you swallow a lot of water in the first few weeks during these falls (thru' the nose, if not mouth). So, how can this be healthy given the conditions? How are people doing this? Am I missing something here?

As a side note, is there any clean lake or something like this 1-2 hour close to bay area where you can learn this sport?

Thanks a ton...

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Confused about water quality?

Post by Loscocco » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

drink a cup a day of bay water to your tolerance level for fecal matter and mercury
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:32 pm

There are so many important things to be concerned about when learning, like not flying into a tree, that I think water quality is probably not worth worrying about. I never really thought about it while learning at Alameda and Third Ave.--I swallowed my fair share of water and don't recall being the worse for it.

That said, I suppose it's not a bad idea to stay informed just in case there's a particularly alarming momentary development.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:00 pm

The only side effect I've ever gotten from the bay is a slight gassy bloated feeling after kiting maybe from a bit of water. Yes, the bay does not look like the Pacific deep blue on Maui or the cold coast here, but if you are at all enthusiastic about the sport and learning it, don't worry you will be fine.

Sherman Island and delta water? Another story completely, many of us have had side effects from the water there... If you drag around in the water or have big crashes, your sinuses will suffer. You don't get that with salt water in the bay though....

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm

I'd be (and am) more afraid of the dangers in *driving* to the kiting spot than any dangers perceived in water quality...

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Handle pass is way easier once you grow a third arm. 8)
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 pm

le noun wrote:Handle pass is way easier once you grow a third arm. 8)
If there were a 'like' button here on BAK, I'd have clicked it. That's funny Vincent!

Kirk out

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 am

It's pretty bad. I think we are all poisoned and will die pretty soon. By no means should you even enter the water. You could be afflicted by kite-osis symptoms of which are rabid attention to any and all signs of wind, in-attention to detail and complete lack of focus and ability to perform normal daily routines when it's windy and often coupled with fatal anxiety syndrome when not windy.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:37 am

WindMuch wrote:I'd be (and am) more afraid of the dangers in *driving* to the kiting spot than any dangers perceived in water quality...
Oh crap, is driving dangerous? Should I consider giving it up? Guess I better get a helmet and impact vest for the trip to the water.

:-) :-) :-)

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:54 am

How about a car Go-Joe for when you get thrown out of your windshield and need to get back to your car? Heaven forbid you use a car leash.