Anyone kite in Malibu?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
buckler12m
Contributor
Contributor
Anyone kite in Malibu?

Post by buckler12m » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:39 am

Hey all,

I have an overnight trip booked to Malibu next week and am trying to figure out whether it is worth bringing my gear with me for an afternoon session and was hoping that someone on the board is pretty familiar with Malibu.

I haven't done kiting in the Pacific as of yet, nor do I own a surfboard (twin tip only), but from the map Malibu looks sheltered somewhat from big waves, so I thought I'd get some feedback from those familiar with the area as to whether there is fun, safe, twin tip kiting in Malibu, or even really close by.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: Anyone kite in Malibu?

Post by Aloha » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:07 am

I have never done any of the Malibu spots but Topanga is not far and super fun. If you're driving back towards town from Malibu look for the American Apparel on the right and you're almost right on top of it. Waves should be pretty consistently knee slappy this time of year in LA so shouldn't encounter anything too gnarly

Use caution and get a spot overview from the locals kiting there, a guy passed there this spring (RIP Dante Torres :[) which they attributed to kelp / cold water exposure (bring a 4/3 to remove that factor!).

http://www.ikitesurf.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

If it's windy people should be out there but it's usually not very crowded

Be safe and enjoy the view ... West LA rocks! :]

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Topanga+B ... u,+CA&z=18
Last edited by Aloha on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 am

I've Kited at Leo Carrillo and down near Huntington Beach in Orange. Leo is a very nice kite venue… its shared with surfers, windsurfers, and kiters (each have their own zone). You need to watch out for the blackballs on the lifeguard towers… they limit when you can be out on the water. SO many people they ususally don’t let you out until after 5pm (LAME!).

Some of the bad:
KELP - don’t kite across the kelp. Its sketchy… if you go down you have to crawl, and leave your kite.
CLASSIC SURF ATTITUDE - Kiters are cool but if you cut off some locals on the lineup they will stare you down… kinda like Waddell.
BLACKBALL - No Kiting, restricted hours.
CROWDED - LOTS OF PEOPLE, kiteres, surfers, windsurfers, beach goers, etc.

Some of the Good:
LIFEGUARDS - they are trained to catch kites, rescue kites... etc. Its like BAYWATCH BITCHES!
THE WAVES - SUPER clean lines, nice waiste high stuff
WARM - hard to beat the weather

Its a good spot to learn the surf... pretty easy stuff. Seriously don't kite over the kelp, make sure you tell someone you're from out of town, perhaps to keep an eye on you if its your first time into the pacific.
black-ball.jpg
black-ball.jpg (24.51KiB)Viewed 1794 times
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by amir » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:03 am

Go to Nicolas Canyon Beach just south of Leo. You park in a lot (pay for parking), or on PCH. The walk to the beach is down a long old road. Walk past the flag to rig. No kiting south of the flag. There are restrictions, but if you go after 5 you should be ok on weekend or earlier on weekday. From there you can kite up to Leo for a crowded surf break or just kite inside the kelp bed for flat water. Avoid the kelp completely. Do not even think about riding over it. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=34 ... 4&t=h&z=16

Sometimes its upper-teens, other times in can nuke. I read the peak of the leo sensor and check the satellite to see if the fog has cleared. You usually need to see if the Catalina eddy is gone by 1 to know if it will hit.

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 am

County Line just north of Leo Carillo is a good spot too.....
Tunces - The driving cat!

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:11 am

Funny, I just kited there two days ago. Super lit on the 11m. I didn't bring anything smaller because I didn't think there was actually wind in Socal. I rode at Nicholas Canyon and followed the advice above. I heard that county line is where you will find the best waves, but Nicholas was good. Kiter's there were friendly and helpful despite what you see on the ikitesurf forums.

buckler12m
Contributor
Contributor

Post by buckler12m » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks so much for the quick response. Is there too much surf to twin tip?

If not, the gear is coming with me.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:54 am

Definitely bring the gear - you can always escape south of the bu to find more mellow spots. You'll be able to find something along PCH that is the right fit for your comfort level