Whats the deal with Alameda wind readings

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
cedralpass
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Whats the deal with Alameda wind readings

Post by cedralpass » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:53 pm

I am very new. I learned when the IKitesurf.com readings for alameda were above 11. Now they are constantly below. I am 185 lbs. I have a 14m Kite, and i keep waiting for it to get above 11.

What wind readings do you wait for? I have a 142 cm board, should i get a bigger one, or rent a bigger one? Should i get a bigger kite. Should I just head up to Sherman and pay for a down winder? Should I wait for next season or winter storms?

g

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:14 am

Hi Cedralpass,

This summer the wind is pretty low. With your equipment - if the wind is reading an average of "10" on ikitesurf it will work for you.

The sensors are reading low it seems or maybe they are reporting knots although labeling it mph?
Yesterday it was around 7 in average but would have been kiteable on the outside with your equipment. Good practice day if you could get out far enough (bodydragging). a couple big kites were out and were going nicely.

Downwinders at Sherman are optimal - but you should know how to stay on the board for a while. And how to get your kite under control and in safely when you arrive at the landing spot.

The wind in Alameda is best mid March through mid/end June. Your equipment may be a bit too powerful for that time of the year, days have average wind speeds of 18.

Winterstorms? As a beginner you should absolutely not go out in those winds Those are dangerous conditions even for advanced kiters. Yup- Crazy advanced cold resistant kiters go out (I LOVE it). But you need to be prepared for the worst case scenario. Also you need all kite sizes from 5m, 7m, 9m, 14m...conditions vary big time.

Cheers! - Sylvia

cedralpass
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cedralpass » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:00 am

Thanks Sylvia,

I looked at the Kite Wind Surf cam today at 3pm and saw some kites up. So I split, and gave it a go. I got to crown beach at 4:20, got the kite up for a little bit. Not enough wind to get me up, but I did have fun body dragging arround.

I stuck it out till arround 6:30, and the wind became more consistant, so I launched again. Probably could have gotten up, but I just body dragged to this mysterious "Outside" and back.

One question, With the new land it in the water rules etc, is it ok to fly the kite on an empty beach between the Shack and the wind pole? My budy and I were working on tuning our kites etc. Is that allowed? Or do we have to be in water once the kite is up?

Thanks for your help.
geoff
Kites: Ocean Rodeo Rise 8m, 10m
Board: Mako Wide
Sites: http://www.wine.com , http://www.travelschemer.com

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:59 pm

Hi Geoff,

Cool that you had some fun! :P

It's pretty dangerous to fly a "big" kite (anything larger than a regular trainer kite) on land, even on a sandy beach. Even in low wind. This was how LMG broke his ankle. - and he is a damn good kite flyer.

You always want to be away from hard objects downwind of you (land in general, sand, rocks etc.) when flying a kite. Wind is full with surprises (gusts, lulls, change of directions).

Even if you have everything under control - especially in Alameda we do not fly kites on the beach at all (anymore), just launch and land. Reason is that "the public" had complained to the Park officials about kites being flown on the beach. We (the kiters) just try to stay away from the "complaints". Even at the location you are mentioning. Even when it is relatively empty. If an old lady doing a beach walk is getting scared by the flying kite that can be enough for her to file the next complaint.

For tuning a kite...you hopefully se already during the launch whether the lines are optimal length, the bar adjusted optimally. You will experience the perforamce best on the water anyways.

Thanks for asking :-)

Enjoy! - Sylvia

ps: the "mysterious outside" - with a little practice you will sometimes see the "windline" just sitting there 500 yards from the beach and not moving any closer.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:33 pm

I think the Alameda sensor reads a bit low... I can ride upwind at 7-8mph on the sensor... but only at alameda..

cedralpass
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cedralpass » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:55 pm

I went out to Alemeda last firday. 7-8 on the sensor. I couldnt get up, i suck ;) but my buddy on his new 172 got up fine, and up wind.

I first spent time working on relauching. After several successful attempts, I got my lines all tangled up as the kite lufted and "origami" folded itself with the fith line over the kite some how. I decided to tempt my luck. I tried to get the kite back arround. no luck. I removed the chicken loop and let the bar out to the center line stopper. That did the trick, the kite flipped arround. I then reset the bar, and relauched.

The lines were a little tangled, so I crashed the kite, and worked on self rescue.

Bottom line, even a begginner has a lot to learn when the wind is low.

Self Rescue, line management, and relauch is hard work. Take your board out there (without leash) for some added distraction.