Extremely fast wear & tear on North bar?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
flippersurf
Contributor
Contributor
Extremely fast wear & tear on North bar?

Post by flippersurf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:24 pm

The grey center line(s) near the bar that connect to the two power lines wears out incredibly fast. I do kite "aggressively" (i.e. continuous spins or loops), but they are about to snap again after <30 sessions. It feels unacceptable.

Is there anyone with the same experience on the North 2009 bars? And if yes, would love to hear your thoughts on:
- How to avoid (it seems that the hole in the bar causes a lot of the bad friction)?
- Does North cover in warranty?
- How to replace (easy/hard?) and how?
- Etc?

Thanks folks. [p]

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Re: Extremely fast wear & tear on North bar?

Post by super_monkey » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:11 pm

I usually keep my bars for two seasons and my gear takes a beating on regular basis. However, last year's bar only lasted for one season before I had to change it out due to the sheeting line wearing out. I never gave it much thought until you mentioned it. It may very well be due to the hole being a smaller size. The hole on the 2010 bar is bigger and you can unspin it while riding. May I suggest an upgrade?

I don't think you can do much in terms of prevention but you can replace it very easily. I can help you out if you'd like. Where did you buy the kites? It might be a good idea to order the part from north. An alternative would be to go to west marine and have them make one for you.

flippersurf
Contributor
Contributor

Post by flippersurf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:08 am

Yea ... it is actually the 2nd time this happened in the last 12 mos. Luckily when the lines snapped the first time, I was able to recover the kite (and myself..). Interesting to hear how North got this "fixed" with the 2010 bar. Does anybody know the current North reps to get a replacement sheeting line? I can't find it anywhere online. Thanks!

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:14 am

This shop sells what you are looking for: Look under :2010 North Trust Bar 5th Element : and look for depower line on the drop down box:

http://www.oceanairsports.com/cat/North ... N=90532644

alternatively, here is Dan's email dans AT northsports DOT com

Dan Schwarz is very good about responding to emails about where to get stuff. He is the West Coast Sales Rep, based in WA.

Your other option, which I somewhat favor. Is to remove the depower line, and take it to the West Marine in Alameda. The rigger there should be able to make you one just like it.

I highly doubt it is covered under warranty but Dan would probably be somebody who could ask that.

The difficulty of installing the line is minimal. You have to just do a lot of feeding the rope into and out of holes. The one that is really difficult to do is feeding the rope back through the depower grab handle. I used a drill last time to widen the hole. It was unreal.

Oh and check to see if you have anything unusual rubbing the line in the hole. Like a burr in the aluminum. I have 3x '09 bars and have only replaced 1 so far after what I would consider major abuse. On that bar, I replaced it because it had been my only bar for both my girlfriend and I (maybe 100+ sessions?) in over a year of heavy use. It didn't snap it just seemed like it was the responsible thing to do.

Kev

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:59 am

It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:48 am

That is the first place I have ever seen that shows the retail price and "their" price being the exact same thing. weird.

when i rode North, I would frequently replace the lines with Amsteel from west marine. Buy 6 feet and you are done. It is very easy to do on the 2009.

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 am

This is known on North bars (but also on other brands). The 2010 bar is a bit better than the 2009 bar. On the 09 bar I had the grey line worn through in less than half a season. Replacing it is really no big deal though. I think to remember that I payd arround $12 or so for the replacement lines (really can't remember but it was cheap). On my 2010 bars the lines look pretty used but they are still holding fine, seems a bit better than the 09. I switch between 2 bars so each bar gets only half the stress. But I ride very often and what you are calling "agressive". I bought the replacement lines at www.kite-line.com. Ask for Michael, he is very helpful. I believe there is even a online video somewhere that shows how to change that line... I will post it if I can find it again...

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 am

ah found it again:

http://www.northkites.com/public/conten ... x_eng.html

Jaime is going through each step, should be helpfull...

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:05 am

one more thing: if that line breaks during riding you will not be in trouble. There are 2 grey lines as you can see. If one breaks, you loose the ability to use the depower strap but that is all. No problem to kite back to beach - no danger here

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 am

replace the line and the cover it badly with candle wax. Since I put on half a candle on mine I dont see any wear anymore.

Typically its about the design of the feed through, the hole size, and especially the mitigation of the hole edges. This is where I had some bad bars in between. But keep in mind its designed to be replaceable. So go for Westmarine and candles and you will be fine.

G