When to replace kite lines?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
timwim1
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
When to replace kite lines?

Post by timwim1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:10 am

Just wanted some advice or what folks do around the Bay.

At what point in time does one replace the kite lines?
when it starts fraying and obvious damage one would off course replace...and what I have basically done so far...

But do folks replace line at a frequent interval? Like every 30 sessions? Every year? Do they wear out faster with pulley systems versus others more classic setups?

What can one anticipate the life would be for well maintained lines? No stepping on the lines, no sand :-k , flushed with fresh water after every session...

Anything else "preventative" one could do.

thanks,

Tim

adamT
Regular
Regular

Re: When to replace kite lines?

Post by adamT » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:27 am

I have not replaced lines yet (each of my sets have seen 1 - 1.5 years of usage thought the past 2.5 years)

I have replaced my briddles on 2 kites (one, just 2 days ago) at about the year mark due to failure. Failed at line going through the pulley.

I have recently heard here and from friends.
Replace 2x every year (feels excessive to me, even ridding 2 - 5x a week)
Replaces 1x every year (probably a good idea)
Replace upon failure (my current track, but not really a decision I made. I just haven't wanted to pony up the cash for a new set or 2 or 3...).

Adam
Naish - Torch (11m) <Helix as backup>
Still looking for the perfect board

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:30 am

obviously depends on how hard you ride, where you ride, your weight, your budget, etc.

With the exception of this year I normally ride 1 kite really hard and replace it every year. i look forward to the new gear as I know in the back of mind I have at least another solid year of not having to worry about it.

But I think from my personal experience i would say you can get around 1-2 seasons on your gear before you really have to start keeping an eye on it. Assuming normal use and no abnormalities like abrasion and knots.

I think the style of riding has more to do with this than anything. assuming you are not fat, when you ride normally and just mow the lawn, the lines are not under abnormal stress. When you loop the kite alot or steer with the lines crossed powered up! keep an eye out.
Last edited by windhorny on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:01 pm

I think you should replace them once a year. If you've never broken a line that is. If you've broken a few lines, you should do it more frequently.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

funkiatdabeech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funkiatdabeech » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:17 am

I keep checking those lines pretty closely now. Guess after what? I was out in the Bay, having good time - snap! kite loops like crazy and smashes in the water, leading edge pops. Long swim ahead, thank God Glenn was there with me and dragged my ass to the shore. Line broke not far from my bar, I guess that's where you steer with crossed lines like Yuri said. So, check them, if you see some wear that's not looking good - replace them! I know I would. :geek: - alex.-

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 am

One trick to extend the life of the lines is to reverse the ends - that way the line crossing wear is cut in two.
I also wax (candle, not surf board) the lines then coat with RainX - seems to limit fraying YMMV.

adamT
Regular
Regular

Post by adamT » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:25 pm

funkiatdabeech wrote:Line broke not far from my bar, I guess that's where you steer with crossed lines like Yuri said. So, check them, if you see some wear that's not looking good - replace them! I know I would. :geek: - alex.-
It would be interesting to see where your board rubs on your lines when you and the kite are in the water (ie you laying on your back with the lines traveling over the board to the kite). Is that the location your line broke?

Adam
Naish - Torch (11m) <Helix as backup>
Still looking for the perfect board

timwim1
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by timwim1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:46 pm

jrg wrote:I also wax (candle, not surf board) the lines then coat with RainX - seems to limit fraying YMMV.
JRG-

That is a very interesting approach, does anybody else candle wax the lines?

Thanks,

Tim

timwim1
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by timwim1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:49 pm

funkiatdabeech wrote:.... leading edge pops. Long swim ahead, thank God Glenn was there with me and dragged my ass to the shore.
Alex, I had the leading edge pop on me a few weeks back (did not seat the exhaust valve securely is what my analysis was...teaches you how far out you should go...since I ended up swimming in for quite a while about 1.5 hours to get the stuff back to shore...

Tim

timwim1
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by timwim1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:31 pm

windhorny wrote:obviously depends on how hard you ride, where you ride, your weight, your budget, etc.

With the exception of this year I normally ride 1 kite really hard and replace it every year. i look forward to the new gear as I know in the back of mind I have at least another solid year of not having to worry about it.

But I think from my personal experience i would say you can get around 1-2 seasons on your gear before you really have to start keeping an eye on it. Assuming normal use and no abnormalities like abrasion and knots.

I think the style of riding has more to do with this than anything. assuming you are not fat, when you ride normally and just mow the lawn, the lines are not under abnormal stress. When you loop the kite alot or steer with the lines crossed powered up! keep an eye out.
Yuri-

Great advice...I actually never replaced any kite nor lines I have purchased (still have my first one, I bought about 8 years ago, fly it perhaps 3 times a year...it is a 9M). So do you replace the lines before you sell the kites every year?

Since I fly the 12M Rebel 08 most of the time now, I am in season 2 and will take a closer look at the lines going forward. I think I am not necessary "fat", a svelte 185 lbs; would call myself riding "normally", my wife thinks otherwise...not necessarily "mowing the lawn..." all the time, jumping once and a while...

Thus if I would list the elements in order of importance for kite line durability concerns:
1. abrasion (sand, rocks, pulleys, chaffing lines, crossed lines,...) be careful check probably check lines monthly to assure all is OK.

2. Stress on the lines (depending on lots of elements, but your weight probably be the number one!, main lines are rated at 500lbs, steering lines at 200 lbs?, thus the heavier a rider the higher the stress...the faster they wear out...

3. Age and exposure (UV) of lines (assuming good maintenance of the lines, cleaning, no sands, no extra exposure (baking in the sun), the older the lines the more careful once needs to be.)

=> Thus, not necessarily a certain number of sessions one would need to replace them for about $100 for a full set. But be more cognizant about them when you've ridden them quite longer...