New Kite recommendations?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
G-man
Contributor
Contributor
New Kite recommendations?

Post by G-man » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm

I just completed my land and water lessons, and just like after my first hit of crack, I can feel the new addiction taking over my body.

I'm pricing out some gear, and some nice folks recommeded I get a 12m kite, perhaps a Naish Cult. I weigh 170 and live in SF, so I will probably be going to Third if I can still get in a few days this season. I'm sure I'll hit both Third and Alameda next year, but my goal is to get good enough to be able to fly at Chrissy, too.

Any advice? Is getting a 12m the best way to maximize kiting days (and then adding a smaller kite later)? Any thoughts on brands/models?

Thanks in advance! (P.S. I've never really done crack).

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Re: New Kite recommendations?

Post by Sonny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:59 pm

G-man wrote:I just completed my land and water lessons, and just like after my first hit of crack, I can feel the new addiction taking over my body.

I'm pricing out some gear, and some nice folks recommeded I get a 12m kite, perhaps a Naish Cult. I weigh 170 and live in SF, so I will probably be going to Third if I can still get in a few days this season. I'm sure I'll hit both Third and Alameda next year, but my goal is to get good enough to be able to fly at Chrissy, too.

Any advice? Is getting a 12m the best way to maximize kiting days (and then adding a smaller kite later)? Any thoughts on brands/models?

Thanks in advance! (P.S. I've never really done crack).
I don't know much about Naish but I would guess you would need a large board, 10m switch blade, or 11m Slingshot Rev, or 11m Best Waroo.

A friend of mine told me that he used to be a drug addict and kiting is lot worse.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

adamT
Regular
Regular

Post by adamT » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Yep,
You will be happy with the Naish Cult 12M.
Kind of big for some of the "good" days at 3rd, especially if you are just learning, but perfect for Alameda.... when there is wind...

The Naish sigma kites I have flown have been super fun and really easy to deal with.. however, they are pretty damn expensive. (i have flown the 08 helix and cult 9m and helix 08 12m)

People have said the 08 12ms were sluggish, but I didn't think so. At least compared to my 11m Turbo2 (this is the kite I learned on....good kite, but lots and lots of bar pressure...).
Naish - Torch (11m) <Helix as backup>
Still looking for the perfect board

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Some dude once told me that kiting is more expensive than a bad cocaine habit, but then a lot less expensive than raising a child, so according to the dude, its okay to get addicted to kiting.

vant20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vant20 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:33 pm

adamT wrote:Yep,
You will be happy with the Naish Cult 12M.
I just got 12M Cult from Bigwinds. They seem to be hard to find at this point in the game. I did not get to take it out yet and they way things shape it may not see water until next year - I live in Sacramento. Where is that recession? :roll:

If you are in the bay area you should get together with some of the people who sell stuff on the forum. You can look at their kites and probably save some money.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:45 pm

I recommend an Ocean Rodeo 10m it is the Crissy kite to have.

Has the power of a 12m cult.

shameful plug :
OR team rider

Stefaans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Stefaans » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:26 pm

We are clearing out our 08 gear so just hit me up and i will help you out.

s@windydevil.com

G-man
Contributor
Contributor

Post by G-man » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Sweet. Thank you very much the responses!

Two follow ups:
- If I were to roll with a 12m, what would you consider to be a "big day" at Third...in other words, at what wind speed should I not go out? (AdamT)

- Sonny, you mentioned a large board. How big? (and why? if you don't mind me asking) :)

Thanks!

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:02 pm

yeah, generally most people don't ride 12's at 3rd these days. 11 or 10 seems to work better for someone around your weight. i'd say anything over 25 mph and you'll be hurting on a 12.

a "large" board is probably something over 140 cm. easier for learning, more float so you don't have to be so powered up.

if you're only going to buy one kite, I think something smaller than a 12 might get you more sessions in the bulk of the season next year. but for the rest of the fall, it's going to be really hit or miss so maybe a 12 is ok.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

lacasaverde
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lacasaverde » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Welcome to KA! Glad you could join us. I'm a friend of Ollie! :wink:

Try as many kites as you can possibly manage BEFORE you buy. And, you can save a lot of dinero flying last year's model. From a beginner's stand point, it's still going to have all the bells & whistles you'll want. At least for a little while. There's loads of members around here who can't wait to get the latest & greatest and often let go of perfectly fine kites at a bra deal. Ya know?! Green is in! :mrgreen:
It ain't easy being greene.