Kiter from NY...need help!

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
kitechickny
Joey
Joey
Kiter from NY...need help!

Post by kitechickny » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Hi,

I am flying into SF in 2 weeks. I used to live in the Bay Area in my teens, my old house is still in foster city. I am going back there just for kiting, so if anyone has helpful info in where to kite and what to bring (thickness of wetsuit) please let me know.

It also will be great to meet some people to go kiting together.

Hope to meet all of you soon!

Stacy

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi Stacy,
I'm a native New Yorker transplanted to CA, so the reverse of you. Check out the section of this site about kiting locations. You will want a car, and access to Ikite surf, as it is consistently windy here in the summer as long as you are willing to drive 50-100 miles in traffic (round trip) for kiting. Any of the main launches will be populated if it's windy this time of year, so you'll get plenty of help if you ask questions and launch a few kites.

I kite at Sherman island, maybe I'll see you there.

Good luck,

Paul
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:03 am

Hi Stacy,

3rd ave would be closest to you - I go to 3rd-PM me when you arrive. I have been wearing a shortie this summer at 3rd. I also drive up to Sherman Island, and kite at Alameda. In the meantime read the locations section of this website - very helpful information.

Ciao, Lisa
PS: Native NY transplant - I kite at Gilgo when home in NY-which I will be there in a month or so :)

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:37 am

Lisa is correct, 3rd would be your best bet and generally has good wind. As a newbie to 3rd, pls read all the posted signs on kiting do's and don'ts as we've seen several incidents of kiters walking their kites and landing their kites on the bike paths. Ask the locals for an overview and assistance.

As for kites sizes,7-9-11 would get covered for both 3rd and sherman.

-clint