Bern Helmets

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Yoda
Resident
Resident
Bern Helmets

Post by Yoda » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:56 pm

Cool new company with helmets that can switch from snow to skate. Soon they will have available water specific versions of their popular styles. Some of you that watched the Olympics may have seen US rider Seth Westcott win the Boardercross event... he was wearing a Bern Baker.
Anyways, they have expressed interest in the kite market, so lets support them and welcome them to our scene. I can tell you the fit and construction is way better than Pro tec. Check Them Out: www.bernunlimited.com

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm

Looks good. Can we buy these helmets locally?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:57 am

I just got word that these helmets hit the water sports market at the begining of June, and they're killing it. Bern has been well received within the snow and skate market. I looks like the same success is happening on the water. Hyperlite will be using Bern helmets as their mfg for their new water helmets hitting the market next year. Bern has water helmets available now and I'll get back with more details on contruction and price. Check them out - www.bernunlimited.com

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm

The water specific models are the Baker and Macon for men and the Brighton for women. They are all $69 except for a Brighton with graphics at $79.
The Baker is available in M/L/XL in matte gray, matte black, and matte white.

The Macon is available in the same colors as the Baker and comes in S/M/L.

The Brighton is available in the same sizes as the Macon but in matte green w/ graphics, matte black, and matte white. The Brighton is sized and designed specifically around a womens head, so ladies should find a good fit with this helmet.

I'll have samples of these helmets coming next week and will have them with me when I'm out demoing the Instinct. Keep an eye out for Bern!

Good Winds

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:21 am

Glade to see "Cool" new helmits hitting the seen!!!

Hopefully guys like Seth, that set the stage a-fire, can convince riders how much harder they can push with a little extra protection.
Have fun,
Greg

marin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:29 am

They do look "cool", but can you provide any information about safety on how they compare to protec. I currently ride with a protec which is certified with some standard level for safety. I am always looking for a helmet that has a better fit and has equal to better safety characteristics.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:58 pm

marin wrote:They do look "cool", but can you provide any information about safety on how they compare to protec. I currently ride with a protec which is certified with some standard level for safety. I am always looking for a helmet that has a better fit and has equal to better safety characteristics.
The Baker, Macon, and Brighton along with the Protec Ace water helmets are all CE rated EN 1385 - which states that the helmet complies with EN 1385 (EN = Euro Norms) standard specification for helmets for canoeing and other water related sports.

Only Europe has safety standards (CE) established for water specific helmets. ASTM (the US governing body on helmets) currently has no established testing for water specific helmets.

Bern is the first helmet company to utilize Brock Foam for its protection and performance. Check out this link for some good info on helmet foams, including Brock Foam (disregard the fact it's a bicycle helmet topic and just focus on the foam details). http://www.bhsi.org/foam.htm