Bowverconfidence

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:37 am

Ollie is exactly right, all kites have the sweet spot. I was at Pt Emery over the weekend once on my 06 14m Rhino which was definitely a bit large for the conditions at the time so I decided to rig on most depowered settings and it flew like a pig. I came back moved down two knots on the bar and the kite was itself again. Similarly my 06 12m Vegas the day before that. I set it up for max power just in case and while it didn't act really weird I would completely oversheet it if bar was pulled half way down. I am surprised that most people buy into this one kite quiver thing. You always have to fly the right kite for the conditions, bow or not. Then again, that's only my personal opinion and I'm not trying to sell you anything.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm not targeting anyone.
It's simple, if business sucks, we're the loosers....
L.M.G.

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:52 pm

all right boys
put the numbers on it
9, 12, 16,
and what?
i do very well on a 12m
and some board play...
limm seems to ride that 14m std alot.
ollie,
on the other hand,
well he likes to pick and choose..
y,

TriCkS......
Narly1

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:59 pm

It's tricky. Conventional wisdom has it that we, as consumers, benefit from competition, we all know that to be true. Look at computers, electronics, even cars. All major successful companies want to be the one who can bring us the best product at the lowest price. Perhaps we're still in a maturing market in kiting immersed in a market battle where the playing field hasn't quite leveled out yet. Once it does, and I think it will, we will all be winners. A friend just walked out of a local shop with a 2006 9m kite with bar and lines relieved of $1500 bucks. Does that sound right to you?

marin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marin » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:02 pm

Karl,
if I had an experience like yours with a new kite I would be inclined to return it as you did. I have been riding a waroo 12m for the last 3 months and have not experienced anything to the level you describe (pre or post modification). I have found the kite is a bit twitchy if overpowered and you have too much slack on the back lines. I feel like the chicken loop line should be 4-5 inches shorter. I find that the kite depowers almost completely by pushing the bar out to the point where it is 4-5" from the depower strap. The last 4-5" does make it eventually fall out of the air, but it is also when I find the kite to start to get wind hitting to top of the canopy. Since you are most likely moving on to a different kite this does not help you, but it may help others that are new waroo owners.

I have loved my waroo and just bought a 9m from live2kite yesterday.

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:02 pm

hey
chill on that
it was a type -o .
if you get your game up you can ride that
whipaka kite you used to love back in the day,
and pull all your stuFf...

becouse insted of the product comeing up ...
you come up.
Narly1

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:31 pm

We kiters loose out on high quality improvments, good back-up policys and reliable stock when the companys really have to struggle...
What we gain are cheap enough products that we can throw them away.
Greg

zgur
Resident
Resident

The market

Post by zgur » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:05 pm

Ollie - in response to your comments, it's not an accurate comparison to cars/computers as those are mass markets. The kite business is a niche - read "small" market, with currently many players. As such, there are different segments/positions companies occupy....for each market there are the lexus/bmw (north, naish, cabrinah), volvo/vw (RRD, Caution) chevy/kia (GK, best). You get to choose what you value and vote with your business - free markets are great.

The costs of the business - research, materials, labor, supply chain/shipping - are not moving lower, quite opposite, they are trending up. The net - don't expect kite prices to be dropping anytime soon.

About your $1,500 question - heck yes it's right. No one forced your friend to buy a new kite, right? They could have purchased a used one and deal w/the risks.....we have the choice, and god bless this country for those choices.

On a personal note, I love to fly current gear that delivers the max performance possible. I have limited time to play, and want the best stuff on the market to max my "stoke factor" This is one part of my life where I am VERY happy to pay for quality. I suspect your friend shares my pt. of view......he/she will have a great kite, backed up by a local shop who will help him/her when they have to tune gear, deal w/warranty, etc... =D>

Just don't forget why you got into this sport in the first place. It's fun as hell. The most fun you can have with your pants on ;-)

Now stop reading a forum and Get Some!!!

Z.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:32 pm

I've still never heard of a $1500 9 meter.

Kraemer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kraemer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Isn't it just you miss your portland buddies? And Fiere Gorge Winds?
Sherman is for peeps who drive 2 hours to work right? SF? On a Friday?
HEY KARL--tried to call you this winter. Tahoe was it. Call me! Kraem!