Any chance this weekend?

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
elli
Resident
Resident
Any chance this weekend?

Post by elli » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:59 pm

Forecast is a dump on Thursday and Friday and sunny on Sat and Sun.

Maybe the locals can match my optimism to reality :)

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:42 am

I can only hope. I have a 3 day weekend this week. It would be nice to get a session....
Dewey

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:39 pm

Forecast is calling for high winds tomorrow evening and sunday morning...

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:53 pm

Hey Charlie, can i borrow your dishwashing gloves? I'll trade you for a bowl of Top Ramen!

mfremont
Contributor
Contributor

conditions at Martis Valley

Post by mfremont » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:39 pm

I drove by Martis today to check out conditions. Despite the 2 or so feet dumped on Truckee during the storms Thurs and Fri, looks like only about 6-10 inches are on the ground in Martis Valley. Snow was probably scoured by the high winds during the storms.

It's snowing again this afternoon, and forecast is for 1-2 feet at lake level by Tuesday afternoon, with likelihood of more later in the week.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get enough cover for a session later this week.

FiCHA
Joey
Joey

Post by FiCHA » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:32 am

Hopefully i will be there from Saturday! Furthermore I hope that my new Air-Pump will arrive before leaving germany on Friday.

Also keeping my fingers crossed for more snow!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:22 pm

I was up at Mt. Rose Meadows yesterday. I got there kinda late, but I got a short session in before the winds picked up and got gusty.
As far as the conditions at Martis Meadows - THIN! Maybe the next storm(s) will change things, but I would look for higher ground. On the north end of the lake Mt. Rose is currently the best spot due to good snow coverage, but it can be hit & miss kiting there. On the south end there is better coverage and more spots. Grass Lake, Hope Valley, and Red Lakes/Carson areas are all pretty good right now. A little farther south (2+hrs) is Mammoth Lakes area that currently has some awesome snowkiting conditions and plenty of terrain. Hopefully the wind sticks around!!!
www.ozonesnowkites.com
www.flyozone.com
www.snowkiting.com

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:18 pm

HmmmÖ
Yoda spill the beans on Mammoth. :)
I heard about it from So Cals, but never been there. Is it less risky than Tahoe in terms of wind / coverage?

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Mammoth is just as hit or miss wind-wise as Tahoe is. I was there for three days last year, and the wind was totally micro-climate oriented. One valley would have wind while the next spot over was totally dead. I talked to a few locals who confirmed it.

The snow cover is more for-sure -- it almost never rains because it's so high up, so you get snow more like Utah -- light and dry, and more of it than Tahoe, too.. I think that's what Yoda was referring to.
Paul