people in SF

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
luigi
Joey
Joey
people in SF

Post by luigi » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 am

Hey everyone my name is luigi. I am very new to kite boarding ( flew a trainer for 2 months, have had one water lesson at alameda). If anyone is interested in hanging with a rookie and showing me the ropes I am way in, I just got all my new gear and am ready to start ripping some mean body dragging. I live in SF on the embarcadero and have a car so I am always down for a trek!

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 pm

In case noone else has told you, you definitely want to wait until spring before trying out any bodydragging in the SF Bay area.

We'd like to keep "bodydragging" a positive term, totally unrelated to, say, "dragging the bay for a body".

As in: "Today the Coast Guard was dragging the bottom of SF Bay looking for the body of a novice kiteboarder who succumbed to hypothermia before rescuers could reach him after his kite crashed into the water". :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that all the posters here who are discussing kiting this time of year are experienced riders with a full knowledge of the special precautions that need to be taken when kiting in the winter.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:47 pm

luigi,
I hope you got Bulldogs drift.. The winds at Alameda "can" get pretty wild in winter. THere will be days... but USE caution becouse the wind will have a tendicy to change direction (mostly on-shore) and is often extremely gusty.
Come spring things will get better...
L.M.G.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:38 pm

You can always come by and have a look. That's exactly what I did the first season; watching people rip it up in storm winds but you would be crazy to try it yourself. Either take a trip down south or wait for spring to drag your body around :).

northgrl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by northgrl » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:50 pm

Hey,
you should wait till it gets warmer; then maybe more people will be up to it =D
if you've only taken one water lesson, you should consider taking another ( with the company you started with ); it would be safer in case something happens to you out there.
I'll be at alameda in march when the early winds kick in, so i wouldn't mind giving you some tips.
cheers,
ella

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:11 am

fly a trainer in the stroms to get a feel of the twitchy gusty stuff.
Narly1

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:22 am

fly a big trainer and you might fly away... :rock:
L.M.G.