Gal Newbie

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
mountainpuddles
Joey
Joey
Gal Newbie

Post by mountainpuddles » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:37 pm

Hello out there!! I was wondering if it's really necessary to take lessons? I have done the trainer and now I "think" I am ready for something bigger. My hubby has the equipment that I can use. Also, I am looking for some gal's that aren't to advanced to help me out a little or someone that is still in the learning stages. Anyone out there?? Thanks, B

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:12 pm

Just take the lessons, it should be part of your start up budget. You wouldn't go fly a plane without taking a lesson would you? Come to Alameda sometime and meet some of the locals, everyone is pretty laid back here and if you ask I'm sure people will be more than happy to help.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:14 pm

I asked the same thing when I started out since I had been flying blades for years and buggying. It is true, some people just "get" it. But there is a comfort that is associated with having an instructor behind you your first few times. The one thing people dont realize when flying a trainer kite is just how MUCH power these things have and can generate. Fear is your friend. It keeps us all alive. It also keeps the sport alive. So yes, take a quick lesson, a private one, not the big group ones. It will cost you $100 or so and you will be thankful you did. they will teach you more than just kiting, alot of it has to do with ettiquette(is that how you spell that?) something I am at a serious lack of at times :)

See you on the water!

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kite lessons

Post by Don Bogardus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 pm

I am one of the instructors at Boardsports Kiteschool on Alameda Beach.For sure get a lesson with us or one of the other outfits, and depending where you find your skills, adequate or lacking, you can do with less instruction hours paid for, as there are plenty of new kiters, and experienced kiters willing to help. FIRST you should reach the point where you can safely practise independently through lesson(s).Also, start early in the season, April through June is prime time for the best most consistant winds near the beach. Instruction later in season is often done off a boat, as the winds move further out,and self practise off of beach becomes a matter of luck, or close attention to IWINDSURF, along with an ability to drop everything and bolt to the beach at first indication Alameda is going to get good!. :)

KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:20 am

A flying piece of fabric doesn't have any pitty on you if a mistake is made...I wouldn't have anyone I care for come near a full on kite without plenty of lesson time with an approved instructor. Enjoyng kitting for years is definetly worth the money that might otherwise be used in hospital or funeral bills....
RRD, Mystic

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:12 pm

Hey I am just starting out to. I might be a few steps ahead but if you decide on taking a lesson (I think you should) or get you husband to give you one. Maybe we could go together some how try to make this pricey sport a little cheaper. Good luck!

PS If you take a lesson make sure it is with someone you like. Nothing is as bad as taking a sport lesson from someone you cant stand.

LeMec
Joey
Joey

Post by LeMec » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:11 pm

Whatever you do you do not want to let your Significant Other teach you how to kite...
Both of you will get upset with one another.

Lessons are best...Alameda for sure.. :P

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:12 pm

lol good point didnt think about that.

LeMec wrote:Whatever you do you do not want to let your Significant Other teach you how to kite...
Both of you will get upset with one another.

Lessons are best...Alameda for sure.. :P

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:44 pm

Without a lesson you will be a danger to yourself and everyone around you. With a lesson you will be less of a danger. A good instructor will not only teach you how to kite, but also when not to. Yesterday a guy rigged his 16m kite. He would not listen to others who told him it was unsafe. Lucky for him it was a lull, but it was still way to much for a 16m in the lull. He came back right away. Lessons will keep you from making stupid mistakes. He was lucky.
Dewey