Looking for a carpool from SF to Alameda

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
Muddy
Joey
Joey
Looking for a carpool from SF to Alameda

Post by Muddy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Hey guys,

I just started kiteboarding in La Ventana (Baja California), one month ago. I really love it, and I'm looking to go to Alameda on the weekends, and also making kite friends! It's always better to ride with friends!

Anyone going this Saturday?

Right now, I'm not able to go upwind properly, do you know another spot I could go not to far from San Francisco for the weekend (4/5h max)?

Can I go to Bodega Bay? Half Moon Bay?

Thanks.

Rémy.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for a carpool from SF to Alameda

Post by ozreiuosn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Check out the webcam for the beach to see if folks are there. https://boardsportscalifornia.com/weather1/webcam/

The forecast might be okay for Saturday, we have a storm system coming through that should be clear by Saturday.

Subscribe to iKitesurf for wind conditions. Sign up link is at the home page of this forum.

Until you can go upwind, you can't really go anywhere else without boat support. All other bay area beaches have rocks and/or no downwind catch.

Please review https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/sites.php

Generally its hard to carpool, most folks are spontaneous, coming from work places, etc and some don't know til last minute where they are going.

Welcome to the area, welcome to the sport. Please be kind and respectful, introduce yourself to the locals and you'll be all good.

Again, until you can go upwind, there's no where else you can really kitesurf but Alameda.

Embrace this page and all the resources and links at the top BAK has provided to us.

Muddy
Joey
Joey

Post by Muddy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks!

If carpooling is too difficult, I'll rent a car.

I might take my motorcycle, do you think it's safe to leave stuffs on the beach? Like a motorcycle jacket, keys etc?

seashell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seashell » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Muddy wrote:I might take my motorcycle, do you think it's safe to leave stuffs on the beach? Like a motorcycle jacket, keys etc?
Haven't had clothes stolen though if it's a particularly nice jacket, it may be worth locking up. I take keys in the water since it doesn't seem to hurt them. My wetsuit has a key pouch right by the zipper.

opie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by opie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Muddy wrote:

I might take my motorcycle, do you think it's safe to leave stuffs on the beach? Like a motorcycle jacket, keys etc?
I think a couple of boards disappeared from the beach last year, so I'd say no on leaving any valuables.

Muddy
Joey
Joey

Post by Muddy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks guys!
I take keys in the water since it doesn't seem to hurt them
Do your keys have electronics?

seashell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seashell » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Muddy wrote:Do your keys have electronics?
No. Though I use a DandyCase waterproof case for small non-waterproof stuff. I tuck that under my impact vest so it doesn't get tangled up in anything.

elaglbauer
Joey
Joey

Post by elaglbauer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Muddy wrote:Hey guys,

I just started kiteboarding in La Ventana (Baja California), one month ago. I really love it, and I'm looking to go to Alameda on the weekends, and also making kite friends! It's always better to ride with friends!

Anyone going this Saturday?

Right now, I'm not able to go upwind properly, do you know another spot I could go not to far from San Francisco for the weekend (4/5h max)?

Can I go to Bodega Bay? Half Moon Bay?

Thanks.

Rémy.
Hi Remy,

We're setting up a buddy system group for Alameda beach and other spots which are beginner-friendly. If you would like to join our whatsapp group, you can follow this link or send me your number by PM and I will add you. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CrHAhRwzoZx0RUTvvDnln7

See you at the beach :-)

Elsa.

Muddy
Joey
Joey

Post by Muddy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:30 am

Thanks Elsa! I just joined it!