Kiters in Berkeley

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
Kitematic
Joey
Joey
Kiters in Berkeley

Post by Kitematic » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Hello guys,
I am currently on my way to berkeley from europe. I will work there for the next half year. |}{+

I kite relatively decent, have no problems staying upwind and do basic jumps. Are there any kiters in the area to go kiting together? Looking forward
Best,
Felix

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Kiters in Berkeley

Post by le noun » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi Felix.
Unfortunately, your timing might be a bit off. Coming September, the wind season is almost over for us. Time to surf!
I kite marina bay frequently and will be happy to give you a launch if you can make it here early enough!
When are you landing in the bay area?
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

JimmyJack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimmyJack » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:44 am

Ashby Beach in Berkeley is my go to spot but Marina Bay is great on too southerly when Berkeley is in the vortex. I have been windsufring or Kiting Berkeley since the 80's and know it pretty well. It can blow there into October and Nov. General rule of thumb is that on normal summer winds and southerly flow racetrak blows longer because it gets more thermal pull from the delta and Berkeley suffers from "running out of room" as Godsey puts it. I feel like I kited more days on the bay between October and March than I have this whole summer. That was of course mostly storm fronts in Alameda, which is a lot of fun (for me anyway, no people) and clearing winds (also at Alameda). Christmas eve I kited Pacifica in a hail storm. The nice thing about winter, and I learned this from a friend of mine who is a pilot with a plane in Truckee, is that when you can get out is pretty definable with some warning, unlike summer thermals. You still have two months of possibilities at Berkeley/RT/MB. Also, MB is a great southerly storm wind place. I had a couple of solo days there last year, magical.

Kitematic
Joey
Joey

Post by Kitematic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:14 pm

thanks for the input, I was thinking about renting a car for the weekend and do some kiting. But the forecast for the marin on windfinder is just about 10knots. Is this usually reliable or are there any local effects which influence the wind?

JimmyJack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimmyJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Sunday was perfect. Only me and Zander out there in steady 18-22

disastersauce
Joey
Joey

Post by disastersauce » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:16 pm

In general, the advanced forecasts are pretty unreliable due to all the rando influences on Bay Area weather.

The most reliable info seems to be the ikitesurf's pro meteorologist forecasts that are updated throughout the day.