Which size/volume SUP board for surf?

Bay Area Standup Paddle Discussion, Sites, etc.
TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Which size/volume SUP board for surf?

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi,

I've been using an inflatable SUP for the past 2 years which is nice in flat water but not that great in surf. I'm now looking for a board that is more suitable for waves (typical Linda Mar / Santa Cruz conditions).
At a weight of 185lbs, which size/volume should I be looking for? Any board recommendations?

Thomas

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Which size/volume SUP board for surf?

Post by kitenaked » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:32 am

150-175 liters
9-6 to 10-6

Do you still want to use it for some flatwater paddling?

Possibly smaller than above dimensions if you already have some good wave skills.

My Boardworks MiniMod is 9-11 x 154 liters. I am 185 lbs. It paddles okay in flatwater but normally on somthing a bunch bigger & faster in flats.

Give me a shout if you want to demo it or one of the other boards in our shop.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:30 pm

a few years ago, boards were pretty high volume. In the past year, most of the big manufacturers have figured out how to drop the volume of their boards but still maintain the stability.

simplifying things greatly:

1. get enough volume to float you. anything over that will reduce stability. the math is pretty simple, take your weight + wetsuit + board weight, convert to KG, and that number has to be less than the L of the board. So, for you, your total weight is like 95 kg, so anything over 95L should float you. Any volume OVER 95L will make the board less stable as you have a higher CG.

2. Stability comes mostly from width. A narrower board is faster and much better on the wave, but tippier. Generally, anything less than 30" is tippy, 30" is average, and 32" is nice and stable.

3. Longer boards are faster, but struggle in steep beach break. If you're going to surf point breaks in Santa cruz, a long board is awesome. If you're going to surf OB, get something short (sub 9') so you can handle the drops. Pacifica is a pretty terrible wave, so can't provide much help there :-) Longer boards are also more stable, as front-back stability can be tough on a short board.

For reference i'm on a 7'10" x 30 that's 97L. It's very stable for my 170 lbs. You should have no trouble on that board, but it's probably a bit aggressive for you at first.

If you're serious about surf and given your prior experience, look for something in the 110-120L range, that's 30-31" wide and less than 9'. I ride starboards, the 8'5" pocket rocket is a good board that fits those specs, you could get the 8'5" pro as well. nice low volume but decent stability still. You could go 8'10" starboard wide point if you want more stability, but it shouldn't be necessary given your weight and skill set.

i actually have a spare pocket rocket, so if you want to give it a shot and see what it's like to stand on, let me know. I'd recommend demoing several widths / volumes to get a feel for your comfort level, but keep in mind that with practice, your balance will improve dramatically, and it would suck to pay a bunch of money for a board that you outgrow in 5 days of surfing.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Thomas,

I have a Red Paddle Co. 9'2 Surf Star that you're welcome to demo if you're looking for the best inflatable option. It will work for individuals up to 200lbs/90kgs.
Volume = 160ltrs. Width = 30".
http://www.redpaddleco.com/2012/10/nine-two-surf-star/
http://www.redpaddleco.com/wp-content/b ... -small.jpg
PM me if you'd like to arrange a demo.

If you're looking at solid boards, I think Starboard, Fanatic, and KM Hawaii have some of the nicest surf SUPs out right now, but almost every brand under the sun has a surf specific option. Good luck on your search!

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. Very good info!

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 am

Found this thread on board volume.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index. ... ic=20700.0

Your weight (kg) + board weight + paddle weight + 20 = ideal board volume

I am 185 on 154liter, but a smaller board is coming. Probably 115-120liter

I couldn't paddle my buddies 90liter. Was too small.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot