Trying to build a racing quiver

All things Course Racing - Events, Schedules, Gear & More
tomalesbay
Joey
Joey
Trying to build a racing quiver

Post by tomalesbay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Alright guys, I'm looking to get into race kiting, but also be able to use my same gear for screwing around a bit, just blasting around. Board-wise, I have a line on a cheap RRD Krace 70, I'm pretty sure I'll be set with that for a while. Kites, I'm looking at getting a 15 Edge, 12 Catalyst, (I've found both of these used) and then a 19 Edge later on and maybe a 9 Catalyst or Edge. Wind where I kite is generally mid-teens, so I'd probably go with the 15 from 10-18, 12 Catalyst from 18-25, 9 Cat above that, and the 19 Edge from 5-12. Does this sound like a good quiver? I'm 185, do those wind ranges see about right? I'm not looking to be competitive at all for at least a year or so, I just want to get on the water having fun and getting used to a new board/kites. I'm trying to get on the water with the board and first two kites for ~$3000.

If anyone has any similar kites/boards for sale, PM me I'd be interested.

Thanks

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Trying to build a racing quiver

Post by ozchrisb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm

I have no useful advice, but I do have the same question. As it's the Bay Area I was hoping to get away with a 13m as my largest kite. What's the realistic low end on a 70cm wide race board for a 185lb person? 18-25 on a 12 sound more like twin tip sizing to me?

Chris

tomalesbay
Joey
Joey

Post by tomalesbay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 pm

yeah, that's my problem is figuring out the difference from TT sizing vs raceboard. There's only so much info online, and a lot of it inaccurate/hard to understand. I just got another for an 11m RRD Addiction - maybe an 11 and a 16? Is that too big of a jump? Ideally, I do want to be having fun in less 8+ knots to around 22 with my first set of 2 kites. What would get me there on the KRace 70?

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

I was going to go 13m, 9m....

tomalesbay
Joey
Joey

Post by tomalesbay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:01 pm

What wind range would you be looking for with that setup? I'm actually not kiting on SF Bay, I'll be mostly on Tomales Bay, it's usually a bit lighter than SF.

tomalesbay
Joey
Joey

Post by tomalesbay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 pm

OK Just got a nice offer for a deal on a 2011 15 and 11 Edge. Sounds pretty good to me

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 pm

The Edges are great for racing
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

tomalesbay
Joey
Joey

Post by tomalesbay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 pm

lol yeah I've heard. I'll probably pull the trigger on that one. Does anybody have major concerns with the durability of the RRD race board? I've heard some scary stories, but I'm willing to go in and do some carbon/glass work if need be. It's been ridden a bit before (say 20 sessions), and doesn't have any glaring problems.

buttersmoothcarver
Joey
Joey

Post by buttersmoothcarver » Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Hey there, just thought id throw this out there if your still looking for a fast race kite.

I have 2013 Airush VXR 15m. It will pinch es up wind like know other. Gotta get $900 for it. Its only been flown twice on snow. Looks brand new. My snow season is over, and i live in the gorge, i wont fly it all summer. Perfect for a bay area racer, that demands the best.
Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 206.300.0450

wmorris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wmorris » Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 am

Your kite sizes sound a little big to me. You don't want to be too lit on your raceboard (otherwise you won't be able to point very well and going downwind will be difficult) and in general you will want to be on a smaller kite than you might normally be on a twin tip. I'm over 200 lbs and use my 9M mostly at Crissy, but have also used my 7M quite a few times this year. My 9 and 11 are my go to kites - 13M I use on light wind days, 17M very rarely. As far as race kites go, the Edge is the most popular in SF, but there are also a lot of Cabrinha Velocities and a few people are riding the new ASV kites this year as well. Boards and fins make a big difference - Mike's lab is definitely the best raceboard out there, but it is also the most expensive. I think you have the right strategy to buy a cheap used board that might not be ideal, but you can see how you like it and then upgrade in the future if you get more serious about it. I have a 9M 2012 Edge if/when you are looking for that size. Hope that helps.