Looking to get into wing foiling - need help with boards

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
cperlmutter
Joey
Joey
Looking to get into wing foiling - need help with boards

Post by cperlmutter » Mon May 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Hi,
I'm looking to start wing foiling this season. I have taken a kiteboarding lesson and messed around a few times years ago but I am not an experienced kiteboarder. I've had my own SUPs for years and have SUPd all over the bay; I haven't tried ocean yet. The wings are pretty straightforward, but I am having a hard time understanding which foil boards would be ideal (it seems like there are SUP foils, surf foils, kite foils). From reading some tutorials and blogs it seems like I would want a board thats 80-90L (I weigh 175lbs). I am open to new or used boards but would prefer used for now. It sounds like I can start out with my SUP board and learn the wing, but once I've done that I should move up to a foil.

jupitersup
Joey
Joey

Re: Looking to get into wing foiling - need help with boards

Post by jupitersup » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Could you share the link that references rider weight to liters in this thread please?
80-90L (I weigh 175lbs)
While it's nice to have a wing for those areas that don't allow rigging a kite, such as high altitude lakes, I highly recommend pushing on with your lessons as it's MUCH more fun with a kite in hand than one of these wings. Think windsurfing vs kitesurfing and while both are fun, kiting gets you more vertical freedom than ever possible on a windsurf sail.

SUP boards float you while climbing out of water on to them and make it possible to get out of the water to a standing position. Meaning it's easier to re-launch after you go down. I've seen some giant boards on foils, used for the start, and once up on the foil the board should disappear unless it's too big. With that being said, get as small a SUP as possible to allow you to get from water to standing position, in order to get a more nimble feel under your feet.

Something like this works well for getting started, but it's huge and not nimble on a foil https://boardsportscalifornia.com/produ ... er-series/

cperlmutter
Joey
Joey

Re: Looking to get into wing foiling - need help with boards

Post by cperlmutter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:09 am

Quick update, I got a Fanatic 6'7 board (125L I believe) due to limited availability of the 5'4 board i wanted. I have only gone out once, at 3rd ave, and I had a hard time getting up and standing on the board. I think I only got up on the board once and just for a few seconds. So I believe the advice is right, definitely need a relatively large SUP, at least for initial learning.

A lot of the comments on body weight to board volume were from talking to shops, but also in this video, they recommend 40L more than your weight in kilograms (I weigh about 80kg, so 120L board)
https://www.f-one.world/news/wing-surf/ ... -wingsurf/