Interested in kiteboarding - season link questions

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
cthatch
Joey
Joey
Interested in kiteboarding - season link questions

Post by cthatch » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Hello,

I recently moved to the Bay Area and saw some people kiteboarding the other day. I had been looking for a new hobby/activity as I just moved from Texas and this seemed interesting to me. However, I have been doing research and I have a couple questions.
1) I see that the season ends in September/October. What do people do in the offseason? Can you still kiteboard but just less frequently or none at all?
2) Is there anywhere drivable that you could kiteboard during the winter, or is the whole coast shut down.
3) I am also interested in snowkiting (as I have been skiing/snowboarding since I was 3) and was wondering if there was anywhere drivable to do that other than Tahoe.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, for some reason I couldn’t find my last one

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interested in kiteboarding - season link questions

Post by jjm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

cthatch wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:12 pm
1) I see that the season ends in September/October. What do people do in the offseason? Can you still kiteboard but just less frequently or none at all?
2) Is there anywhere drivable that you could kiteboard during the winter, or is the whole coast shut down.
Welcome to the Bay Area. Please give https://www.sfba.org/winter-kiting.html a read for a more detailed explanation of the shoulder/off-season.

TL;DR - Very infrequent, need to pay close attention to forecasts and have a very flexible schedule and not suitable for inexperienced kiters.

My advice would be to organize a vacation where you can dedicate a few solid back-to-back-days (with reliable conditions to back it up) during the off-season and/or schedule some lessons locally as early as possible next season (March-ish).