Recent beginner looking for places to hone skills

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Washburn.I
Joey
Joey
Recent beginner looking for places to hone skills

Post by Washburn.I » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 am

Hi all. I'm new to Kiteboarding, I recently took a lesson on waquoit bay cape cod and I am hooked! I would like to continue my trainning in the bay area/Folsom as I live in Folsom. I have spent many hrs researching theory and the wind window. I have about 6 hrs on a 12m, I also have about 6hr on a 3.5m Hydra. I am familiar with the wind window. I can self rescue, water relaunch, I can stand but need practice staying up and body dragging. I have purchased some decent equipment would like to find a safe place to learn skills. So my question is, where would a good place to hone my skill this summer? Would Folsom lake be a good place with a larger kite? What about thermalito?

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Recent beginner looking for places to hone skills

Post by NorCalNomad » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 am

Alameda
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Washburn.I wrote:So my question is, where would a good place to hone my skill this summer? Would Folsom lake be a good place with a larger kite? What about thermalito?
Alameda is mostly dead during the summer months, so nix that from your list... unless you have a 14-16m kite and lots of patients.
Folsom and Thermalito are both fall/winter/early spring spots. Sometimes Folsom can be done during the summer on some strong SW wind days, but they are super rare. N wind days are even more rare during the summer since they are generated by the clearing of a low pressure system heading east.
Folsom is also not the most ideal spot for beginners, but it really depends on the water level. Depending on the level, the SW wind can be more off-shore which is no-no for beginners (and even advanced). The shore is also very rocky and/or coarse sand, so it can damage or destroy your kites if not careful. N wind days are better for beginners due to the launch area position, but the beach is really rocky around the waterline. Many have dedicate "beater" kites for Folsom.

Thermalito would be a beginner's paradise if the wind blew there more frequently. Wide open and grass lined shore, and a shallow depth near shore makes it perfect for learning and progressing. Thermalito isn't ideal with SW winds since you have to kite on the opposite side and the launch area and the wind quality is compromised when it's from the SW. N wind days are best!

If I were you, I'd consider doing (paying $ for) the assisted downwinders at Sherman Island. With the amazing wind quality there, your progression will be much faster than any other place in northern CA. Warm air and comfortable water temps are also a major bonus. You can eventually do a non assisted downwinder when you get better and more confident (and it's cheaper $). Check out Edge Kiteboarding and Kitopia for these assisted services.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm

I used to be one of those folks that would recommend Alameda as well, but if you can avoid going there, do so. The wind sucks there, its very crowded. Both of these combined will stunt your progression exponentially.

I, and others, cannot stress enough the amazing resources available at Sherman, 3rd (with jetski/boat), Toll Plaza (with jetski/boat), or any facility that teaches OFF-BEACH. Kitopia, KiteTheBay, Edge Kiteboarding, etc.

Do not let yourself suffer, honing your skills on your own can only be done in one place, Alameda. Youre not going to get the wind you need there to make yourself an independent kiter. Our season's gonna end soon, lets make sure you can get out before it does.