3rd avenue with a 9m ?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
spd13
Joey
Joey
3rd avenue with a 9m ?

Post by spd13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 am

Hi,
I am new to the bay area and living near 3rd avenue. I am an early beginner, i only had some lessons in France and am at the early stage of waterstart.
I own a Cabrinha Crossbow 9m. When i was wandering around 3rd avenue, i saw all kiters were riding 12m+, even in quite strong wind conditions (14kn).
Do you think my 9m will be too small to start learning in 3rd avenue? Maybe i should consider buying a 12m?

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: 3rd avenue with a 9m ?

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am

Depending on your size, a 9m is the perfect 3rd Ave. kite for the ~20kt summer winds. It's been lighter lately, so you're seeing bigger kites. But hopefully soon the thermals will kick in and you will be happy with your 9m.

That being said, 3rd is not the greatest place to learn if you are not staying upwind. The upper launch is quite small, so you need to stay up wind to return, or you have to go downwind to the lower launch where there is a big wind shadow and more of the freestyle happens. If you are still working on staying up wind and your waterstarts, you will want to head to Alameda or take a jet ski support lesson in the channel to get comfortable. Good luck and have fun!

spd13
Joey
Joey

Post by spd13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Thank you for your feedback. I will try Alameda. I was also considering jet ski support lesson, do you know what company is providing them? Wind over water? I can not see them on their website

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Boardsports School does jet ski lessons. Tony also does, you can find him at 3rd or maybe he will post on this thread.

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by NorCalNomad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 pm

At 3rd you can just launch at the upper and land at the lower if you can't stay upwind. Also pay attention to the tides, always easier to stay up wind when you're starting on an ebb.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.