New to the area

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
dingleberry
Joey
Joey
New to the area

Post by dingleberry » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to the area, actually living in Berkeley at the moment but soon to be moving to Alameda .. Saw a bunch of Kite boarders on the beach a few days back and got me interested in getting back into it.

I did a course a couple years back in the Netherlands but I'm definitely super rusty since then so I was wondering where a good place to start would be?

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the water!!

Ant.!

NorCalNomad
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: New to the area

Post by NorCalNomad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Alameda/ Crown Beach is the place to start.
Listing gear is bad, and you should feel bad.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:39 pm

You can easily get refresher lessons from Boardsports shack at Alameda. Just walk by on a windy weekend (or even mid week) day and ask Rebecca or Jane about lessons. Even if Alameda is light on wind, they can take you out into the channel on a jet ski. Have fun!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm assuming you've checked the Kite Beaches link on this page, but just in case you haven't, I believe the closest and best kite spots near SF for an intermediate+ level rider are Coyote Point and then 3rd Ave. Right over the Bay Bridge is Royce/Toll Plaza beach. Just south of Royce is Crown Beach/Alameda. That's about it.
For beginners, Alameda/Crown Beach is your only real option in the Bay. Royce may work ok for you too, but the beach is very small for rigging and launching/landing.

dingleberry
Joey
Joey

Post by dingleberry » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info guys, Alameda looked nice when I saw it .. Big sand bank to walk out on .. And get setup on .. Will check out the local school and get a refresher .. Sounds like a good place to start :) .. See you on the water

pzorner
Joey
Joey

Post by pzorner » Fri May 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Hey Folks -

I've also been looking for people to kite with. Relatively new to kitting and would love to have someone help launch and land.

I own my own kite and live in SF. Currently looking to kite Alemeda. Would be happy to lend launch buddy my equipment while out with them.

PM me if you want to get out on the water together, would love to meetup with people.

-Preston

elaglbauer
Joey
Joey

Post by elaglbauer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi guys!

I'm also new to the area (moved here from London) and keen to go out kiting as much as possible -
when the conditions are good for my level (independent beginner).

I had a lesson at Alameda last weekend to get my bearings and it seems like the perfect spot. I have a car and will be driving to Alameda from Campbell regularly on the weekends. It would be great to meet other kiters!

Was part of a Kitesurfing group in London which was great for carpooling and we had a monthly drink to discuss all things kiting. Hoping to find the same here :-)

Let me know if you would like to meet up at the beach.

Elsa.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 pm

elaglbauer wrote:Hi guys!

I'm also new to the area (moved here from London) and keen to go out kiting as much as possible -
when the conditions are good for my level (independent beginner).

I had a lesson at Alameda last weekend to get my bearings and it seems like the perfect spot. I have a car and will be driving to Alameda from Campbell regularly on the weekends. It would be great to meet other kiters!

Was part of a Kitesurfing group in London which was great for carpooling and we had a monthly drink to discuss all things kiting. Hoping to find the same here :-)

Let me know if you would like to meet up at the beach.

Elsa.
Alameda gets really light in the summer, so unless you have a 14m and a surfboard or are foiling, I would suggest to start planning trips to other venues like third Ave, coyote or Sherman.
Just my two cents.
Welcome to the bay!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

elaglbauer
Joey
Joey

Post by elaglbauer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 am

Elsa.[/quote]
Alameda gets really light in the summer, so unless you have a 14m and a surfboard or are foiling, I would suggest to start planning trips to other venues like third Ave, coyote or Sherman.
Just my two cents.
Welcome to the bay![/quote]

Thank you! Yes I will definitely visit other places around the Bay if Alameda turns out be too light.

Look forward to it :-)

alexglebov
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alexglebov » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Elsa,
Welcome to the Bay Area! I just started a new topic in this forum with intent to create a buddy system at Alameda for this year. If you are interested, please post a reply on the new topic, or PM me.

Alex.